FIRST YEAR CONNECTIONS
Zoom with us M-F | 10am to 4pm
First Year Connections offers pathways and academic preparation to all incoming students. Our goal is to ensure that our first-time students complete their General Education (GE) written communication (A2) and math/quantitative reasoning requirement (B4) within their first-year. Student will receive the support they need by providing them with the tools necessary for a successful first-year experience! Students will connect with peers, make new friends and learn about the resources available to them.
NEW! Summer Connections 2023 - Early Start Courses
Provisionally admitted students should check their Cal State LA email for important information regarding their required participation in Summer Connections - Early Start Courses. Students who participate in our summer program will have the opportunity to earn 3 units of college credit by enrolling in either Early Start Composition (ESC) or Early Start Math (ESM) prior to starting in the fall. Early Start Courses are designed to prepare students in math and/or English before their first semester, thereby improving their chances of completing a college degree. Participation is based on multiple measures and must be completed at Cal State LA.
Summer Connections Important Dates
ESC & ESM Registration Begins
|Last Day to Register||First Day of Class||Last Day of Class|
|May 5, 2023||June 15, 2023||June 20, 2023||English: July 28 | Math: August 15|
Steps to Enroll for Summer Connections - Early Start Courses:
- Log in to your MyCalStateLA portal. Click on the GET icon. Select ‘Self-Service’, then go to ‘Student Center’.
- Click on the ‘Early Start Course’ link at the top left under 'Academic' on your GET page. This is where you will confirm your Early Start course participation and be notified if a fee-waiver is available to you.
- After selecting Cal State LA, you will be directed to a confirmation page. Click ‘Confirm Early Start Selection and you should be redirected to make your final confirmation where a link to ‘Enroll in Early Start’ will appear.
- Review the information regarding your course requirements options from the letter you received.
- Select the 'Enroll in Early Start' button located at the bottom of the page. A Financial Aid Waiver pop-up message may appear informing you of the financial aid waiver eligibility (subject to change, based on EFC).
- You should now be on the 'Add Classes' page. Click on the Search button
- In the subject box, enter the appropriate course to add, ESC for English or ESM for math. In the box right below, enter the course number (see your letter: 1090, 1082, or 1005A). Then click ‘Search’.
- A list of courses should appear with a green circle indicating that the course is open, and seats are available. Make the selection that best fits your schedule. 'Select’ the course and then click ‘Next’ to continue.
- For math, repeat steps to add lab (ESM 90 or 82 )
- Review your selection and "Proceed to Step 2 of 3". Select 'Finish Enrolling'.
- If you come across any errors, please screenshot, and email to: [email protected]
Students requesting accommodations, please visit OSD Registration or contact the Office for Students with Disabilities (323) 343-3140.
Summer Connections - Early Start Course Descriptions
ESM 1090 and ESM 90: Early Start Quantitative Reasoning with Statistics (8 weeks)
Course Credit: Passing ESM 1090 will confer 3 units of college credit and fulfill the GE Block B4 requirement. ESM 1090 is graded ABC-/NC. ESM 90 does not carry college credit or count towards the degree and is graded CR/NC.
ESM 1082 and ESM 82 Early Start Precalculus: Functions (8 weeks)
Course Credit: Passing ESM 1082 will confer 3 units of college credit and fulfill the GE Block B4 requirement. ESM 82 does not carry college credit or count towards the degree.
ESC 1005A Early Start Composition
ESC 1005A is a 6-week summer course designed to prepare first-time students for success in their college writing classes. Working with a supportive professor, you'll have the opportunity to explore new strategies for critical reading, research, and writing to build a strong foundation for the work you'll do in your future college courses. You'll develop your writing strengths by connecting and working with peers just like you.
Course credit: You will earn 3 units of college credit by passing this course and advance to the next level of English in the Fall semester (ENGL 1005B). Graded: ABC-, NC
How Much Do Early Start Courses Cost?
The cost is $191 per unit plus a mandatory one-time fee of $1 for Health Facilities and $1 for the Student Union. Eligible financial aid applicants with an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of $6,000 or less may be eligible for a fee waiver. Upon registration, a pop-up window will inform students if they qualify for the waiver. This is subject to change once the final EFC is determined.
Refund Procedure and 2023 Proration Schedule, visit the One-Stop Financial Services Office website.
To pay online, please log on to your MyCalStateLA student portal and select Transact from the Quick Launch menu. You can also access the link directly here.
Parking Information for Summer Connections - Early Start Participants
Students enrolled for the 8-week ESM course or the 6-week ESC course will receive an email from Parking & Transporation services with information on how to obtain a parking permit (purchase is optional).
Please note: It is the responsiblity of all drivers to know and under stand the University parking rules and regulations. Parking regulations are enforced 24-hours a day, 7 days a week including holidays. Please obey all posted signs and/or curb markings. Please click here for more information about parking regulations. Click here for campus map.