The Year of Financial Empowerment: Speakers and workshops to put you on the track to financial empowerment
Register for this free zoom event.
Do you have a financial question or issue you want to hear more about? Please submit your question.
Developing Your Financial Fitness Plan | April 22, 3:15 - 4:15 p.m. (Zoom link will be sent to registrants)
You’ve done it! After several workshops, let’s work together to develop your financial plan. Join us on Thursday, April 22th, 2021 at 3:15 pm for our final workshop this semester to develop your personal financial fitness plan.
The workshop will be led by Dr. Charles Danso, Finance. Law & Real Estate. Dr. Danso has hosted many of these workshops and worked with several of our guest speakers. He will wrap up our series and help you to develop your personal plan for financial success.
- Identifying how much money you need for each financial goal (e.g., house, college, car, etc.).
- Determining your personal resources (e.g., budget, credit, accounts, etc.).
- Determining how much external support you need (e.g., investments, savings, etc.).
- Developing your personal financial fitness plan.
What is the Financial Fitness Force?
The Financial Fitness Force is a team of faculty, lecturers, industry expert and external partners focused on developing and offering essential financial workshops and information to empower students financially.
The goal of the Financial Fitness Force is to build a network of students who not only understand but can use financial knowledge to better their lives and the lives of others.
The Financial Fitness Force considers this the year of financial empowerment for students and topics include basic financial awareness and tools to understand complex topics including home ownership and investing.
Each workshop is designed to give you important knowledge that comes together at the last session to create your financial plan. The most benefit is gained from attending all workshops.
Upcoming workshop topics:
- April 22 - Developing a Personal Financial Plan (This workshop builds on each previous session) | Download Financial Plan Outline
Previous workshop topics:
- April 8 - Investing in your Future |
- March 25 - Lending and Credit | Take Control of Your Credit
- March 11 - The Essentials of Budgeting | Personal Financial Budgeting | Personal Financial Documents | Budgeting Presentation Template
- February 25 - Smart Banking Choices | Cal State LA Checking 101
- February 11 - Exploring Financial Resources | WS #2 Presentation | Scholarship Thank You Letter Example
- January 28 - Building a Foundation for Financial Stability and Wealth | WS#1 Presentation | Financial Fitness Plan
For questions, please contact Dr. Angela Young, Associate Dean, College of Business and Economics at [email protected].
Financial Fitness Force Team:
Mr. Rodrego Byerly (Lecturer, Managing Director, Evitarus)
Dr. Charles Danso
Finance, Law & Real Estate, Cal State LA
Dr. Danso obtained his doctorate from Florida Atlantic University. He has taught several finance classes including personal financial planning. His hope is that students and the community in and around Cal State LA will get useful skills they can apply and share with family, friends, and the community.
Mr. Thomas Lawson (Caprice Capital Partners)
Dr. Porschia Nkansa
Accounting, Cal State LA
Dr. Porschia Nkansa is a first-generation college student from Chicago raised by entrepreneurial parents who value education and learning. She would like to see students use the financial skills obtained from the financial fitness program to elevate their financial futures.
Mr. Edgar Ortiz (State Farm Insurance)
Mr. A. Sami Siddiqui (Retired, Banking and Finance)
Dr. Maryam Tofighi
Marketing, Cal State LA
Dr. Maryam Tofighi earned her B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. in Marketing. She has two years of professional experience in marketing. Dr. Tofighi is responsible for measuring the effectiveness of the financial fitness program at Cal State LA. Her favorite quote is from Ayn Rand “Money is only a tool. It will take you wherever you wish, but it will not replace you as the driver.”