Visit Health Watch for COVID-19 updates. Find Employee Return to Campus and Student Return to Campus information.
Emergency Notification

Advising and Academic Support


How do I make an appointment with my advisor?

You can schedule an advising appointment online. Find instructions on how to schedule an appointment.

Most students will make appointments with advisors in your college advising centers. (See information on finding your college based on your major on our Getting Started webpage.)

When making an advising appointment, students who are undeclared should select the University Academic Advisement Center, students in The Honors College can select The Honors College, and students in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) can select EOP when signing up for an appointment. 

If you have questions about scheduling an advising appointment, email [email protected].

How do I change my major?

Please review the criteria for Major Declaration for information about major declaration requirements and schedule an appointment with your academic advisor. 

How do I add a minor?

Schedule an appointment with your academic advisor and visit the Minors webpage for more information. 

What does it mean if I am on the waitlist for a class?

Get answers to questions regarding class waitlists on the Registrar’s Student Waitlist FAQ. (Scroll down to the last section on the webpage.) There is no guarantee you will be enrolled from a waitlist. Remember, it is first come, first served.

How can I create an educational plan?

Learn about your Degree Planner and be sure to make an appointment with your academic advisor if you need assistance with degree planning. 

How can I get advice for internships and my career?

The Career Center offers appointments, drop-in career advising, career workshops, and employer events, both in person and remotely. They also list employment opportunities, including on-campus student jobs, internships, and part-time/full-time jobs on Cal State LA Handshake. Questions? Email [email protected].

As an undergraduate student, how do I know if I am on track to graduate in a timely manner?

A full load is 15 units; if you want to graduate in four years, you should take 15 units per semester and/or 30 units per academic year. 

The Degree Planner is an online tool that can help undergraduate students map out their entire academic path to graduation.

Academic Support

Does Cal State LA provide tutoring services for students?

Yes. Please visit the Center for Academic Success website and follow the instructions on the homepage to make a free tutoring appointment.

What subjects can I receive tutoring for?

The Center for Academic Success provides free tutoring for all subjects and writing assignments. 

If you are in a course that does not come up as supported by tutoring when making an appointment, please email [email protected] and we will work with our tutoring team to get you the help you need.

Can I get academic support for study skills and other student success strategies?

Yes. The Center for Academic Success provides a series of webinars and workshops to support students adjusting to a successful college experience. Watch archived webinars that provide tips on academic success, time management, productivity, virtual learning and more.

Is there specific academic support for first-year students?

The Center for Academic Success supports first-year students in their math and English classes. Find additional details of the services provided by CAS on its website, including Peer Leaders and Peer Led Undergraduate Study (PLUS).

I am a graduate student. How can I get support from the Office of Graduate Studies?

Learn about the Office of Graduate Studies. You can contact staff in the office by scheduling a one-on-one Zoom appointment, visiting during Zoom Office Hours, or by sending an email. Find details on the Office of Graduate Studies appointment scheduling and contact information webpage.