**This Program is Discontinued as of Fall 2022**
Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program for Pre-Health Professionals—Career-Changer (Option II)
This two-year post-baccalaureate certificate program provides an opportunity for students who do not have a background in science but are interested in pursuing a health profession to complete the prerequisite coursework for admission to medical school or health professions schools.
Students may begin the certificate program only during the Fall term of an academic year. .
This certificate program requires the completion of a minimum of 38 semester units taken in post-baccalaureate standing. A maximum of 6 units of previously completed post-baccalaureate coursework from another institution that has not been used for credit may be used for completion of the certificate program. Refer to the Graduate Study chapter of the University Catalog for general information governing all certificate programs.
Requirements for Admission to the Program
- Completion of a University application through CSU Apply. Acceptance by the University to post-baccalaureate status and acceptance by the selection committee.
- Baccalaureate degree in a non-science major completed before the term expected to begin the post-baccalaureate program.
- A minimum 3.0 grade point average in last 90 quarter units (60 semester units).
- Personal Statement (see prompt on certificate program application form)
- Two letters of recommendation
Admissions decisions are finalized in mid-June and formally made by the Office of Admissions and Recruitment. Email is the university's official method of communication. All applicants will be contacted with final admission decision via email by the Office of Admissions and Recruitment.
- Completion of prerequisite coursework for admission to medical school or health professions schools
- Access to one-on-one health professions advisement and workshops through the HCAO
Requirements for the Certificate
A minimum GPA of 3.00 is required in all course work.
Completion of a minimum of 38 semester units from the following list of courses. Submission of university certificate application and program sheet.
|General Biology with lab||10||Year 1|
|General Chemistry with lab||10||Year 1|
|Organic Chemistry with lab||10||Year 2|
|General Physics with lab||8||Year 2|
Students pay Graduate/PB level fees; please refer to the Cashiers Office website for the most current fee information.
Be aware that this program does not meet the criteria to be eligible for federal or state student aid. As a result, Some students turn to private (non-federal) education loans to help cover their education costs. Before making a decision about a private loan, view the information from Finaid.Org so that you have as much information as possible before you begin the process.
There is a $70 nonrefundable and nontransferable CSU Apply application fee.
- Post-Baccalaureate Certificate for Pre-Health Professionals Application—Career Changer (Option II)
- Transcripts from all colleges attended —Only one official set to be sent to the University's Office of Admissions and Recruitment
- Personal Statement
- Two Letters of Recommendation (LOR).
How to Apply
Complete and submit a Graduate Application for Admission through CSU Apply.
Under "Major/Program Objective", select Certificate - Pre-health Professionals.
Under "Degree Objective", select None.
Submit official transcripts to Cal State LA’s Office of Admissions and Recruitment and complete online application to the program through CSU Apply. For help uploading documents associated with your online application, please visit the Uploading Documents webpage.
Confirm that your application has been submitted through CSU Apply and your documents have been received with the Office of Admissions and Recruitment.
Note: The information on this page was modified from what appears in the University Catalog.