Academic Programs - Bachelor of Arts


The Bachelor of Arts Degree in Child Development includes a choice of Two Options:

Option I, General Option, prepares students to work as administrators in preschools, day care centers or youth agencies or to gain entry into careers with children and families in early education, health, pediatric or community based settings. Graduates of the program are prepared for employment as early childhood educators/administrators, parent educators, Certified Family Life Educators, Child Life Specialists, youth agency workers, or case managers. Option II, a California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC)-approved Elementary Subject Matter Teacher Preparation Program, provides students a broad-based education in multiple subjects that provides a waiver of the California Subject Examinations For Teachers: Multiple Subjects (CSET:MS).

The total number of units required for the Bachelor of Arts degree in Child Development, Option I, General Option, is 120, which includes 81-83 units in the major and 48 units in the General Education Program; because of overlap between major and General Education requirements, 0-12 free electives may be required to reach the degree total of 120 units. The total number of units required for the Bachelor of Arts degree in Child Development, Option II, Elementary Subject Matter Teacher Preparation option, is 120 units. Option II requires 48 units in the Child Development Core, 6 units of Required Courses, 50 units of general education requirements, and 84 units of Elementary Subject Matter courses. Because Elementary Subject matter courses overlap with both the Child Development Core and General Education requirements, the total number of units required for the degree is 120.

Students entering the program should plan their course work with a Child and Family Studies adviser. Students seeking a credential should also consult the Charter College of Education.  Option II requires students to take a specific set of General Education courses, many of which are not offered at community colleges.

Therefore, Option II is recommend only for first-time freshmen.  Transfer students will not be permitted to take Option II. 


Roadmaps to Graduation link

University eCatalog Link

Child Development, B.A. 

The department also offers:

Minor in Child Development 

Certificate Programs

Undergraduate Certificate in Child Maltreatment and Family Violence 

Undergraduate Certificate in Youth Agency Administration