The Master of Social Work - Advanced Standing Program (MSW ASP) is for:
- Students who have earned their undergraduate degree in the field of social work from an accredited school of social work within the past five (5) years.
- Individuals who are interested in advanced and specialized social work practice.
The per unit cost for the Master of Social Work - Advanced Standing Program is $525.
The total program cost* is $17,325.
*Student health insurance, textbooks, parking permits, housing, and other related expenses are not included.
Learn more about financial assistance opportunities.
View information about Graduate Application and Admission.
View information about International Graduate Application and Admission.
A Cal State LA School of Social Work faculty committee will make admission decisions. To be admitted to the Cal State LA MSW ASP program, applicants must meet the admission requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in social work from a CSWE accredited college or university completed within the last five (5) years.
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale
- Personal statement using School of Social Work writing prompt
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Three (3) reference forms -- one from each of the following:
- Academic (A)
- Integrative Seminar Instructor (F)
- Field Instructor from your BASW internship (F)
- Unofficial transcripts from each college and university attended
F-1 student visas are not available to study in this program.
Important Note: Students pursuing their degree on Cal State LA’s Main Campus may not take courses at Cal State LA Downtown as part of their degree program. Only students admitted to programs offered at Cal State LA Downtown may attend programs after paying all required fees. Current Cal State LA students are welcome to pursue a program at Cal State LA Downtown in addition to their degree, but additional fees will apply. Programs offered at Cal State LA Downtown are not transferable to Cal State LA's Main Campus. Students admitted to a program at Cal State LA Downtown are welcome to pursue a program at Cal State LA's Main Campus, but an additional application is required.
Application dates for Summer 2024 admission to the MSW-ASP Program at Cal State LA Downtown are February 1 through February 28, 2024.
The transcript deadline is March 15, 2024.
Mail transcripts to:
Office of Admissions and Recruitment
Cal State LA
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032
*Watch a video about how to use Cal State Apply.
Learn more about the transcript submission process.