The 35th annual Mayor's Cup Competition awarded "Pay n Park" the grand prize of $3,000 for their for-profit startup, which involves working toward food security for the future.
Behind the ambitious plan of Pay n Park are two passionate founders, Yash Patel (’17) and Arjun Paunrana, who are interested in developing a new source of protein — the black soldier fly larvae — to feed fish, which will ensure the food supply of emerging markets, particularly in Kenya.
The Mayor's Cup is a competition providing local university entrepreneurs the opportunity to explore innovative solutions to local civic challenges.The Grand Prize Winner will receive $25,000 and the opportunity to work with City Hall for eight weeks to develop their idea.
Eligible teams must select and address one of the following five challenges:
* How can we better support the enhancement and beautification of city real estate assets and public property?
* What can we do with vacant, blighted and city-owned properties in your neighborhood?
* How can we build and preserve more affordable housing including incentivizing public and private investors?
* How can the City better connect everyday small business owners to the professional services and growth opportunities they need to thrive?
* How can we grow the entrepreneurial ecosystem in L.A. to increase employment opportunities and provide skills to local workers?
* All College Students, Faculty Members & Staff are Welcome to Apply
* Mayor Eric Garcetti and the City of Los Angeles invite all full-time and part-time college students, faculty members, and staff from Los Angeles colleges and universities to enter the inaugural Mayor’s Cup by solving some of the City’s most important civic challenges.
* Finalists will pitch to a panel of business and government leaders, including the Mayor, with the winner receiving $25,000 and a chance to implement the proposed solution with the Mayor’s Innovation Team. Click Here to read the detailed rules and guidelines for eligibility.
* September 14th, 2016: Information Session 1
* September 24th, 2016: Information Session 2
* October 5th, 2016: Applications Due
* October 26th, 2016 Semifinalists Announced
* November 1st, 2016: Finalists Announced
* November 16th, 2016: Finalists Pitch Solutions