Graduate Degree Program
What is the Masters Program Like?
- small classes, offered in evenings for working students
- close working relationships with professors
- the chance to pursue subjects of interest in depth
Where do MA graduates go after their degree?
- Doctoral programs: at prestigious doctoral programs in history, American studies, and ethnic studies at institutions like UCLA, USC, Yale, Iowa, Indiana, George Washington, and Minnesota.
- Community College Positions: recent graduates have gotten tenure-track jobs at East Los Angeles College, Rio Hondo College, Glendale College, Santa Ana College, and LA Trade Tech College.
- Public History/Library/Archival Positions: at institutions like Los Angeles Public Library, CSU Dominguez Hills Special Collections, the Drum Barracks Museum,
- Enhanced Career Opportunities for both current and prospective middle school and secondary school teachers
- A wide variety of other careers in areas like journalism, media, and business research
- General Program Information
- Requirements for Degree Completion (30-33 units)
- General Application Instructions (from the University Graduate Studies Office)
- History MA Program Application form (with specific instructions for History applicants)
Please see the Documents page for further materials including forms for current students and the Department Highlights page for further information on areas of specialization.
Phi Alpha Theta
We are a professional society whose mission is to promote the study of history through the encouragement of research, good teaching, publication, and the exchange of learning and ideas among historians. We seek to bring students and teachers together for intellectual and social exchanges, which promote and assist historical research and publication by our members in a variety of ways.
For more information, please email the Administrative Support Assistant II ([email protected]), or call (323) 343-2020.