COVID-19 OSS FAQ’s
General Office for Students Services Questions
Is the Office for Student Services currently open?
In the interest of safeguarding the health of our entire community, the Office of Student Services will be practicing social distancing and providing services remotely. All of the campus advisors will be communicating individually with you in non-face-to-face environments, including telephone, email and Zoom. There will be no face-to-face drop-in appointments. The executive order put into place by Governor Gavin Newsom requires that every Californian stay home except for essential needs, like going to the grocery store, pharmacy, bank or gas station. Learn more at https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except-for-essential-needs.
When will the office re-open?
At this time, we are not sure when the campus will reopen. Please continue to visit the Cal State LA website or more information.
How do I submit documents to the office?
- Below is a list of office personnel and their e-mails. Please e-mail your questions and documents to the staff listed in the area that your document or question seems most likely to pertain to.
- General admission questions: Britney Lynch, [email protected] or Joanna Grey-Perez, [email protected]
- Admissions Application/Decision Questions: Joanna Grey-Perez, [email protected]
- Multiple/Single Subject Advisement: Nicole Cravello, [email protected]
- Special Education Advisement: Abril C. Trasvina, [email protected]
- ULRN Advisement: Richard Maddox, [email protected]
- Internship and Graduate Advisement: Jennifer Revilla, [email protected]
- Directed Teaching: Lauren Haramoto, [email protected]
- Credential Processing: Edith Torres, [email protected]
- General questions about admission and enrollment into the Charter College of Education: Ana Zambrano, [email protected]
Credential Admission Process Questions
Is the Charter College of Education accepting teaching and administrative services credential applications for Fall 2020?
- Yes, we are accepting fall 2020 applications. Please visit our admissions page at www.calstatela.edu/edadmissions and submit your complete application by May 29, 2020.
- M.S. in Counseling Program Applications and Ph.D. in Special Education Application deadlines have passed
I’ve completed my credential application, but I cannot meet the Basic Skills attempt requirement because my CBEST exam was cancelled or postponed for a future date. What can I do to meet this admission requirement?
- Register for the next available test date, through July, 2020. Upload your registration ticket to the online application. We will use your registration appointment as proof of the attempt of the Basic Skills Requirement for the time being. If the testing site does not allow you to register, please upload a screen shot of the error message, or any other supporting documentation you have.
When will students be notified about fall admission decisions?
- CCOE staff are currently working on processing credential applications for the Fall 2020 semester. You will be notified of your admission status by the end of July, at the very latest. Applications are processed in the order they are received – the sooner you submit your application, the sooner you will receive a decision.
I am unable to obtain official transcripts. Can I still apply?
- Yes, you can still apply even if you are unable to obtain official transcripts. In the meantime, you may submit unofficial transcripts to the university, and the CCOE will be able to access those documents. You do not need to submit transcripts of any sort to the CCOE, unless you are told otherwise. The University will eventually request official transcripts so please make sure you request and submit them as soon as possible. For more information regarding the submission of unofficial documents to the university, please visit the following site: http://www.calstatela.edu/admissions/uploading-documents.
Due to COVID-19, I am unable to complete the LiveScan. What can I do to satisfy this admission requirement?
- At this time, we ask that you create your online account with the CTC (https://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/submit-online) and complete your LiveScan as soon as the centers reopen. As long as you have created an online account, a missing Certificate of Clearance will not delay the processing and review of your admission application.
Due to COVID-19, I am unable to make an appointment for a TB test. What can I do to satisfy this admission requirement?
- We understand that you may not be able to obtain a negative TB test right now. Please upload a Word document stating that you are unable to make an appointment at this time, but you will make an appointment as soon as you are able to. A missing TB test will not delay the processing and review of your admission application.
Formal Admission Questions
I am in the pre-requisite block (Multiple and Single Subject credential programs) or taking unrestricted courses (Education Specialist credential program) and had scheduled my CSET exam for this semester. My exam dates have been cancelled or postponed for a future date. What can I do to meet this admission requirement? Will I be able to proceed to the next term?
- ** Multiple and Single Subject Students - Register for the next available CSET exam date through July 2020. Email your registration ticket to Nicole Cravello at [email protected]. For the time being, we will use your CSET registration appointment as proof of having fulfilled the Subject Matter Requirement. If the testing site does not allow you to register, please email a screen shot of the error message, or any other supporting documentation you have. Once the exam is passed or the waiver is completed, please send verification to Nicole Cravello at [email protected] as soon as you can. Please note that you will need to pass all sections of the CSET exam to advance to student teaching.
- ** Education Specialist Students – Register for the next available CSET exam date through July 2020. Email your registration ticket to Joanna Grey-Perez at [email protected].For the time being, we will use your CSET registration appointment as proof of having fulfilled the Subject Matter Requirement and we will issue you a permit for EDSP 4001. If the testing site does not allow you to register, please email a screen shot of the error message, or any other supporting documentation you have. Once the exam is passed, please send the score report to Joanna Grey-Perez at [email protected]. The Education Specialist credential in Early Childhood Special Education does not require the subject matter examination.
Will I be able to be formally admitted without the CSET or subject matter waiver and when will I need to submit it?
- You can be formally admitted for Fall 2020, even if you have not met the subject matter requirement. You will still need to have earned passing grades in all prerequisite courses to be formally admitted and to move forward in the program. Please know that all extensions allowed are for the Fall 2020 semester only, unless they are modified to include a future term due to testing availability. Therefore, unless you are notified of a change, your extension for the CSET or waiver submission is valid for Fall 2020 only. Please note that you will need to pass all sections of the CSET exam or complete the waiver to advance to student teaching.
I am a current conditionally admitted student in the credential program and am pending formal admission. Where do I submit my pending documents?
- Please submit electronic copies of documents to Joanna Grey-Perez at jg[email protected].
Student Teaching Questions[accordion collapsed]
I missed the student teaching meeting, will there be another meeting about fall student teaching?
- There will not be another student teaching meeting. If you did not attend and would like information for Fall 2020 student teaching, please contact Lauren Haramoto, [email protected].
If I am an undergraduate, will I be able to student teach during Fall 2020 if I cannot take all of my CSET exams due to the closures?
- CSET is still required prior to enrolling in final student teaching (traditional or residency model) for Fall 2020. Title V does not allow for exceptions for this requirement.
I have applied for student teaching in the fall, by when do I need to turn in CSET and/or CBEST?
- The deadline to turn in all supplementary items is May 6, 2020. Late documents will still be accepted; however, student teaching site availability might be limited. Please send all documents to Lauren Haramoto, [email protected].
What if I was offered an internship due to start this fall, who can I talk to about that?
- Please e-mail the Internship Coordinator directly, Jennifer Revilla, [email protected].
I am currently an intern, but cannot finish my requirements due to school and exam closures. My intern credential expires soon. What can I do?
- The CTC has extended the validity of the internship credential for one semester due to the current conditions. No filing of an extension is required.
If I am only pending RICA and CPR will I be held to EDSP 4950 in the fall?
- Yes, each intern needs to be enrolled in fieldwork (EDSP 4950) for every semester except student teaching until all requirements are met.
Credential Recommendation Questions[accordion collapsed]
I’ve completed everything in the program minus the edTPA. Will I have to pay the credential recommendation fee?
- You will need to pay the credential fee if you are reapplying for a credential. The fee can be paid online via Cash Net at https://commerce.cashnet.com/csulapay. According to EdTPA, two additional submission windows will be opened up, and the new schedule will be released soon. Please visit https://www.edtpa.com/ for more information.
Does OSS accept online, virtual CPR certificates?
- Although you can complete your CPR certification online, we typically do not accept online CPR training. However, due to the current circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are temporarily accepting online certification in Adult, Infant and Child CPR from the American Health Care Academy, which meets OSHA, ECC current guidelines – until further notice. This exception is only for those individuals currently completing credential program requirements for Spring 2020, Summer 2020 and Fall 2020.
- ACCEPTABLE CPR LINKS:
How do I submit documents for my credential processing?
- Once you have applied for credential processing (you have completed your program or are in your final semester), you can e-mail additional documents such as CPR or exams directly to the Credential Analyst at: [email protected].
- Verification of experience must be an original or must be directly received from the employment agency.
- All exams and CPR certification must be forwarded with the original email from the testing services or CPR agency with PDF attachments.
Is my credential recommendation still being processed even though the office is closed?
- Yes, please be assured that we are still working on regular processes and you will hear from the department within the appropriate timeframes.
I have already applied for my credential recommendation, when will I hear from the department?
- Credential applications are processed within a 10-week timeline from the date received in the Office for Student Services. Credential applications submitted after the semester submission deadline may take a little longer than the 10-week processing timeline. Applications are processed in date order received.
- Credential applicants will be contacted via email by the Credential Analyst as a means of communicating pending credential program requirements. Deficiency letters will not be mailed out to applicants. You may contact the Credential Analyst at [email protected].
Guidance Regarding Executive Order Actions Related to COVID-19
Updated June 2, 2020
Credential Advisement Questions
How can I meet with an advisor?
- At the present time, the Office for Student Services is closed and serving all students remotely. You are welcome to e-mail the advisors listed below with questions and schedule a phone/Zoom appointment if necessary.
What if I have general questions and I don’t know what advisor to contact?
- Please e-mail our program recruiter for general questions: Ana Zambrano [email protected].