The Student Health Center (SHC) staff cares about overall patient care, the services we provide and how they are provided to you. We aim to continually strive to improve our services. As our patients, you can tell us how we are doing in our efforts to provide the best possible health care by completing a Patient Satisfaction Form. These confidential forms are available throughout the SHC. In addition, an anonymous Patient Feedback Survey is available through the Student Health Center Patient Portal. Your feedback is appreciated.
To provide the best possible care to you, we ask that you participate in your care by recognizing your rights and adhering to your responsibilities as our patient.
Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Complaints and Complaint Resolution
As our patient, you have the right to:
- Receive considerate, respectful, inclusive, and nondiscriminatory care from SHC healthcare providers and staff.
- Privacy and confidentiality.
- Access to your health records as allowed by law.
- Be informed about your health condition and associated treatment(s) in understandable terms.
- Be informed of the risks and benefits of proposed treatments.
- Refuse treatment and be informed of potential risks.
- Know the professional credentials of your SHC healthcare provider.
- Change providers if other qualified providers are available.
- Seek another opinion before making any decision.
- Know about possible fees associated with your care.
- Offer suggestions or feedback, including complaints.
- Have your advanced directive followed.
As our patient, you have the responsibility to:
- Present accurate identification and current contact information.
- Provide full and accurate details of your health history and/or health concern(s).
- Keep appointments or notify the SHC in advance to cancel or reschedule.
- Ask questions and discuss concerns with your SHC healthcare provider regarding your care.
- Follow prescribed treatment plans, including the use of on or off-campus resources when needed.
- Accept the consequences for not complying with the treatment plan.
- Be aware of the effects of lifestyle on health and make healthy choices.
- Accept personal financial responsibility for any charges.
- Respect the privacy and confidentiality of other patients.
- Be considerate and respectful towards other patients and SHC personnel.
- Comply with University policies and procedures, including the Standards for Student Conduct.
The Student Health Center cares about your health and well-being. Please help us to better assist you by completing a brief, voluntary and anonymous survey about your most recent visit.
To access the survey, log into the Student Health Center Patient Portal using your MyCalStateLA user name and password. Look for and click the Patient Feedback Survey link on the home page.
Patients have the right to file complaints. When a complaint is received, Student Health Center (SHC) workforce members will attempt to resolve the complaint. If the attempt is unsuccessful, the complaint will be forwarded to the supervisor of the area or department involved. If a patient is dissatisfied with the resolution of a complaint, they have the right to seek resolution through appropriate SHC personnel and administrators.
Complaints related to counseling and psychological services will be directed to the CAPS Director. Complaints involving medical care will be forwarded to the Lead Physician. Complaints related to health education and promotion will be directed to the Assistant Director for Health Education. Operational complaints as well as medical care and complaints involving Health Education will be forwarded to the Student Health Center Director as needed.
Students also have the right to seek resolution from the Associate Vice President for Student Life/Dean of Students.