Web of Science to Scopus
Coming Soon – The University Library will be moving from Web of Science to Scopus
The University Library has cancelled our subscription to Web of Science (effective January 1st, 2022) and will be replacing it with Scopus.
This decision was based on the following factors:
- The CSU has obtained multi-campus pricing for Scopus, which should lower the cost for Cal State LA (compared to Web of Science).
- The content overlap between Web of Science and Scopus is 99%, but Scopus indexes far more journals, conference proceedings, and books. Scopus is the largest curated abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature with over 84 million records including books, conference papers, articles, patents, datasets, and funding data, and over 1.8 billion cited references dating back to 1970. It also contains 17.6 million author profiles, over 94,000 institutional affiliation profiles.
- Scopus offers an optimized user interface, superior author and institutional profiles and metrics, as well as a suite of smart tools to track, analyze, and visualize research and foster collaboration. These tools can help faculty craft their narrative for their RTP files. In Scopus, researchers get CiteScore metrics, a comparable tool to the Journal Citation Report. Scopus also provides Plum Score metrics to trace social media shares and other alternative metrics. The data, literature and analytical tools in Scopus can assist researchers in identifying emerging trends, foster collaboration, raise visibility, and identify funding.
Training and WorkshopsThe Library is partnering with Elsevier to provide general and specialized training on Scopus during the transition period in December 2021 and continuing throughout the Spring 2022 semester. Training topics will include general overviews, literature discovery, data visualization tools, author profiles, classroom use, and metrics. December training dates are below. Please use the embedded links to join one of the training sessions.
Additional training dates during the spring 2022 semester will be announced on this page when we have finalized the dates.
- Scopus Information site
Contains a wealth of resources including: user guides and tips, title lists, and quick tips and frequently asked questions
- Scopus LibGuide
- Mendeley Citation Manager LibGuide
- Measuring Research Impact
- Scopus Support Center
- Scopus Webinars
- Other Scopus Help Tools