Interlibrary Loan (ILL) FAQs
What do I do if I forget my ILL username and password?
If you forget password, please use the Change Passwork? link on the Illiad Login Page. An email will be sent to your registered email address, which will allow you to create a new password. If you forget your username, please e-mail [email protected] or call the Interlibrary Loan office at 323-343-3952 during business hours
What do I do if I get an error login message?
You may be blocked from using ILLiad Interlibrary Loan because your patron information is incorrect or out of date, or you tried the wrong password three times.
Please contact the Interlibrary Loan office at 323-343-3952 during normal business hours or e-mail [email protected] to report this problem. Be prepared to provide your full name and the campus identification number (CIN) found on the front of your Golden Eagle Card.
What is ILL & How do I use it?
Interlibrary Loan, or ILL, borrows books and gets scans of articles that the Library does not have available online or in print. Materials listed in our catalog may be requested from another library if they are checked out, missing, or otherwise not on the shelf (see other regulations below).
Who can use the ILL service?
Our Interlibrary loan service is available to currently-enrolled Cal State LA students, faculty, and staff.
How long does it take?
Generally, 3 to 10 days; however, there are many variables. It's recommended that you allow up to 2 weeks to receive material.
Please Note: Borrowing materials using the "Request Item" button in the "ALL CSU Catalog" reduces delivery time
How much does it cost?
The Cal State LA Library does not charge for Interlibrary Loan.
Regulations and renewals
- The number of items borrowed shall not exceed 20 at any one time.
- The loan period for books varies from 14 days to 21 days depending on the policy of the library lending the book. The due date will be indicated on the ILL wrapper when you pick up the book.
- Items borrowed on ILL cannot be renewed.
- Borrowers may keep photocopies of articles, they do not need to be returned.
- Telephone requests for new interlibrary loans are not accepted.
- Return books directly to the Loan Desk, 1st Floor Library North. Do not use the Book Returns.
- All Interlibrary Loan materials are subject to recall by the lending library. Patrons must return materials immediately when a recall notice is received.
- Return borrowed material on time. Failure to return material on time may result in suspension of ILL privileges or limiting future requests to Library Use OnlyLibrary Use Only. Return borrowed material on time. Failure to return material on time may result in suspension of privileges or limiting future requests to .
- You will be liable for any late charges/demand fees incurred for items not returned on time.
- Take proper care of borrowed material and return it in good condition. You are liable for any lost or damaged material.
- Observe any special conditions set for use of borrowed material. Conditions for use of borrowed materials are set by the lending institution. Special instructions are on the book strap and may include:
- For Library Use Only;
- Photocopying Not Allowed;
- No Renewals;
- Sign Dissertation User Page.
Where to pick up ILL materials
- Books: Pick up books at the Service Desk, 1st floor Library North. Leave the white strap wrapped around the book's cover on at all times. Books are already checked out when you sign for them.
- Articles: Students, pick up articles at the Service Desk during regular library hours. Faculty and staff, articles are mailed directly to campus offices.
- Articles in Electronic Format: Articles in electronic format will be delivered via email attachments and they can be retrieved from your myCalStateLA (campus) email account.
What is & is not available through ILL
||ILL will make every attempt to obtain research material in various other formats (e.g., music scores, dissertations, etc.), but we have mixed success in obtaining these items from other libraries due to THEIR policies [See also this information on purchasing dissertation and theses via the Web.]|
|Requests Which ILL Will NOT Process|