Alternative instruction will continue for Fall 2020 semester. Students should remain in communication with their instructors and follow their instructions. Cal State LA’s IT Resources for Remote Access are available here.
The Master of Public Health (MPH) offered by Cal State LA in Downtown Los Angeles includes a unique focus on urban community health serving diverse populations in urban areas like Los Angeles. Students will understand how to improve health outcomes at the population level and how a variety of factors can impact the health of local communities. Cal State LA's program allows both recent bachelor's degree recipients and seasoned public health professionals to learn the intricacies of this growing field.
Cal State LA is accredited by WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). The MPH program is currently in the self-study process for specialty accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Read/download the MPH program flyer. (Coming soon)
You may be able to finance your education. Read more here.
Join our interest list to stay up to date on the latest MPH program updates and application windows.
Who Should Enroll?
- Individuals with a passion for serving their community and improving health outcomes for individuals and populations
- Individuals interested in understanding the principles, policies, and techniques needed to provide public health programming in the Los Angeles area
- Those seeking work in some of the following capacities: healthcare administration, health education, community health, program management, research, public policy, behavioral and social sciences, and statistics and biostatistics
Register for a live webinar OR view/listen to a pre-recorded MPH or Graduate Degree programs webinar presentation here.
Tuition & Fees
Cost Per Unit
Total Program Cost
$22,050 effective Fall 2021
Please read about Graduate Application and Admission.
Read about International Graduate Application and Admission.
A Cal State LA Public Health faculty committee will make admission decisions. To be admitted to the Cal State LA MPH program, applicants must meet the basic CSU Graduate Program admission requirements:
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- An undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher is suggested; a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is strongly recommended. Some exceptions to this may be defined by the committee.
- A statement of purpose explaining the rationale for pursuing an MPH in urban health.
- A professional resume.
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges or universities attended, including Cal State LA.
- Official transcripts for bachelor's or professional degrees obtained, as well as certificate programs in which letter grades were awarded.
- Two reference forms: One reference must be academic; the second may be academic or professional.If last degree was earned over 5 years ago, two professional references are allowed.
To Apply/Application Deadline
Master of Public Health
Online applications open
for Fall 2021:
October 1, 2020
March 15, 2021
April 2, 2021
Please submit Official Transcripts by April 2, 2021 to:
Office of Admissions and Recruitment
Cal State LA
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032
For more information, please contact the College of Professional and Global Education via email or (323) 343-4915.