Criteria for Evaluating Diversity Requirement (d) and (re) GE Course Proposals
In general, course proposals for courses submitted as satisfying specific general education requirements must provide:
- Clear evidence that student learning outcomes specific to the block or GE requirement are being taught and assessed
- Course content in outline that demonstrates adequate time devoted to teaching and assessing the outcomes
- Evidence of specific training, currency and/or experience in the basic intellectual and pedagogic competencies in the specific block or designated area
Block or GE Requirement Student Learning Outcomes
Proposal clearly demonstrates that student learning outcomes are being taught and assessed sufficiently
- Demonstrate understanding of theoretical and practical factors of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, socioeconomic class, disability, sexuality, religion or age.
- Demonstrate understanding of the intersectionality of these factors, with particular attention paid to race, ethnicity, gender, and socioeconomic class.
- Demonstrate understanding of the diversity of intercultural and intracultural relationships.
- Demonstrate civic literacy and awareness of social justice that would enable effective participation in a diverse society.
Focus on Race and Ethnicity (re)
- Course focuses on issues of race and ethnicity and their intersectionality with other social categories that structure inequality in society.
Implementation and Assessment
Proposal or supplemental materials provide evidence of
- Specific training, currency and/or experience in the basic intellectual and pedagogic competencies in the specific block or designated area