Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Does Math ITEP offer a BA or BS degree and how many units does the degree require?

    The ITEP (Integrated Teacher Education Program) degree program offers BS in Math in Integrated Teaching Option, i.e, you will receive both the degree and teaching credential when you graduate. The unit requirement is 135 semester units which you can complete in 4 years with summer bridges (fITEP program).

    There is also a considerably longer and more expensive (see See "Tuition and Teacher Salaries" below for a cost comparison) BS Traditional Teaching option where you first complete the BS degree (120 undergraduate units/typically 8 semesters) and then complete the teaching credential (47 credential units/typically 4 semesters).

  2. How long does it take for one to complete the Integrated Teaching option?

    Typically this degree takes 5 academic years; however, with fast-track ITEP (fITEP) you take summer bridge courses targeted to complete the degree within 4 academic years, assuming that you take a pertinent full load (15-18 units) in most semesters and pass all courses. See a roadmap and/or program plan posted on this website for details on how to plan your courses.

  3. How important is it to plan my courses ahead?

    It is extremely important that you have a program planner completed in the first semester (with the help of a math faculty advisor) so you can stay on track. We suggest that you do NOT solely rely of the GET generated planner. Students who do not plan ahead end up taking much longer to graduate. Note also that NOT all courses are offered in all semesters, so plan accordingly.
  4. When should I take my first math course?

    In the first semester! Math is hierarchical, and you MUST take as many lower divison math courses as you can in the first couple of semesters so you can complete all prerequisite courses. This in turn will enable you to get into upper division math courses in the third year. The gatekeeper courses to most upper division math is Math 3450, and your goal should be to complete it in fall of year 3. Note that Math 2450 is pre-requisite to Math 3450.
  5. How about GE courses? When should I take them?

    Check the sample roadmap for your school (CC or CSULA) to see how one typically combines math and GE courses. Note that many of your GE requirements are met within your major as shown in program plan.

    Many GE related questions are answered at the website below.


  6. Do I need upper division GE courses?

    Math ITEP students do NOT need upper division GE courses. Integrated option students cover UD GE requirements within major. Check program plan for reference. However, traditional teaching option students do need upper division GE courses.

  7. What is an ideal way to combine my courses, such as GE, math or credential?

    For the first 2 years, combine GE and lower division math courses, in the remaining years combine upper division math and credential courses. See sample roadmap for reference.

  1. I have been admitted to CSULA. Do I need to make another application to credential?

    Yes, you need to fill out the COE application (College of Education), in the spring semester of sophomore year. Go to CCOE website for information on how to apply. Consult with your math credential advisor for further help. Additionally, we hold yearly workshops where students can apply, as well as they can apply when they are enrolled in the course MATH 3950.
  2. Do I need to take any test before I apply to COE?

    You need to at least show that you are registered to take CBEST (California Basic Educator Skills Test), or comply with that requirement via courses.
  3. Can I take credential courses without being admitted to the program?

    You may take certain credential courses (about 4 courses) before you are admitted into the program. Consult with your math credential advisor, as those courses change over time.

  1. How much does the tuition cost for CSULA?

    Tuition fees change over time. The current (2023) full time (over 6 units) undergraduate fee is $3399.24 per semester. You can take up to 18 units per semester as a full-time student. Fees link.

  2. Does Integrated Teaching option cost less than Traditional Teaching option?

    YES! The expedited version of the Integrated Teaching option that allows you to complete both BS degree AND teaching credential in 135 undergraduate units and 4 years (10 semesters including summers). In the traditional Teaching option you first complete the BS degree (120 undergraduate units/typically 8 semesters) and then complete the teaching credential (47 credential units/typically 4 semesters) which obviously costs more in time and money.

    AY 2021 full time undergraduate units/fees cost per semester* is $3390, whereas full time credential unit cost $3849. By this formula, fITEP program (Fast-track Integrated Teaching option) costs 10*$3390= $33,900 and 4 years whereas Traditional Teaching option & credential cost 8*$3390+4*3849 = $27,120+$15,396 = $42,516 and 5.5 years.

    Additionally with the ITEP, you graduate 1.5 year early so you can potentially earn 1.5 years worth of extra salary!

    *estimates as projected at /sfinserv/fall-semester-2021

  3. I heard that having graduate units might increase my entry salary. Should I not do the Traditional Teaching option then?

    Do not worry! By the 2019 mandate issued by CSU Chancellor's Office, ITEP graduates have their credential units (the graduate units) listed in an official letter provided by the college of education (you need to request this certifying letter once graduated), and are eligible for same pay scale as the traditional (degree followed by credential) candidates.

    Additionally, when you compare your savings as shown in question 2 above, ITEP comes out as the more cost-effective one, as you pay close to $9000 less in tution and fees, and start earning 1.5 years earlier, which translates to a minimum of $97, 500! (based on sample teacher salary of $65,000)

    For most school districts a salary difference is barely existent even before this new mandate. Most school districts give salary boost based on your teaching experience, as shown in Alliance School District below, so earlier you start is the better: Alliance School Teacher Salary Table

  1. Er...I do not see my question in your list!

    Not a problem. Just click on "contact MSTI" on the directory on the left and send your question our way. We will either contact you directly with the answer, or add your question to the list here along with the answer.

    The following website also provides answers to many pertinent questions.