Nov 14, 2019 MSTI Financial Workshop and Teacher Social
Welcome to the Cal State LA, Math and Science Teacher Initiative (MSTI) website
California continues to face a critical shortage of qualified math and science teachers with a projected need upwards of 33,000 teachers in the next ten years. Reduced funding and difficult working conditions have contributed to fewer prospective teachers entering the teaching profession—a decrease of 75% over the last 10 years. The demand for credentialed math and science teachers has far outpaced the number of credentials issued. Consequently, many districts have hired teachers who are not properly trained or who are teaching outside of their fields of specialty.
In order to address the dearth of qualified teachers in the field of math and science, MSTI is committed to increasing the number of credentialed teachers. The program seeks to align itself with the California State University (CSU) system-wide plan of action consisting of the following six primary strategies:
- creating easy-to-navigate credential pathways,
- providing financial, academic, and social support to students,
- recruiting candidates to increase enrollment and diversity,
- collaborating with local community colleges and area high schools,
- delivering instruction and resources through the internet,
- and partnering with corporate sponsors and federal laboratories.
Location: Simpson Tower F211