Internships & Jobs
Whether you choose an internship or a job, having effective search strategies will bring better results. The resources below can advance your employment search.
- Job Search 101 Workshop Series
- Remote Job Searching
- Planning For Internships (presentation)
Search for the Right Opportunities
Recognizing your personal qualities and interests is the first step in discovering a career that is a good fit. Start with self-assessment. Continue by exploring and researching careers and industries that interest you.
- Handshake (job board) – A Cal State LA career site where employers recruit college students and recent grads. Use it to search for internships and jobs. Create your free account today. (Returning user access).
- Employers by Major (website) - discover, research, and network with thousands of potential employers in California for 150+ majors.
Network for Opportunities
Get started by networking and connecting with employers. Don't forget to customize your résumé and cover letter to each position, and develop your interview skills for success in the selection process.
Where to Meet Employers
- Employer Info Sessions - The Career Center regularly hosts employer info sessions. These are great opportunities to hear from employers from a diverse range of industries and get tips on how to apply for their positions. You can find employer events on Handshake.
- Networking Events and Conferences - These are great opportunities to meet employers, build relationships and gather information. You can find networking events on Handshake and professional associations also host conferences for networking.
- Career Fairs - The Career Center hosts career fairs in the fall and spring where you can meet employers who are hiring. You can find career fairs on Handshake.
About Career Fairs
Try drop-in advising to ask your initial questions or start the conversation, whether it’s related to résumés, interviews, internships and job searching or general career planning. Learn with and from your peers as career advisors help you form an initial strategy.
Wednesday: 12 – 1 p.m.
Work on an individual basis with a career advisor who will guide you through every step of the Career Development Journey and provide you with an understanding of what is important to reach your career goal and become a professional.
- Phone: Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- In-person: Monday and Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Email [email protected] or call 323-343-3237 to schedule an appointment.