Internships & Jobs
Whether you choose an internship or a job, having effective search strategies will bring better results.
Search for the Right Opportunities
Recognizing your personal qualities and interests is the first step in discovering a career that is a good fit. Start with self-assessment. Continue by exploring and researching careers and industries that interest you.
- Focus 2 – provides valid and reliable assessments including Work Interests-Holland Code, Personality, Values, Skills, Leisure Interests and Career Planning Readiness. Assessment results are matched to supporting majors and career options with over 1000 occupations and up-to-date career information. Register for free using the access code EAGLESLA. Career advisors guide you through the sections of Focus 2 in these instructional videos.
- What Can I Do With This Major? – helps you connect general academic majors with careers. You can find an outline of common career areas, typical employers and strategies designed to maximize career opportunities.
- Handshake Career Pathways - helps you to explore career possibilities by industry and lists currently available jobs and internships in those areas. Learn about roles and find ones that are right for you using the guide Explore Career Paths for College Students on Handshake.
- Vault Guides to Jobs - provides numerous employer, career, internship, resume, and interviewing guidebooks. Guides cover industries such as law, consulting, investment banking, accounting, investment management, private equity, hedge funds, Internet and social media, IT and engineering, energy, health care, advertising, and more. The Vault channel provides videos that support the guides.
How to Find Opportunities
- Grow Your Network (website)
- Virtual Job and Internship Searching During Social Distancing (presentation) / (Virtual Search Distancing Word version)
- Job Searching While Social Distancing (website)
- Job Search Strategies (handout)
- Employment Alerts to Avoid Scams (handout)
- Employment Guidelines for International Students (website)
Where to Find Opportunities
- Handshake (job board) – A Cal State LA career site where employers recruit college students and recent grads. Use it to search for internships and jobs. Create your free account today. (Returning user access).
- Employers by Major - discover, research, and network with thousands of potential employers in California for 150+ majors.
- Employer Info Sessions - The Career Center regularly hosts employer info sessions. These are great opportunities to hear from employers from a diverse range of industries and get tips on how to apply for their positions. You can find employer events on Handshake.
- Networking Events and Conferences - These are great opportunities to meet employers, build relationships and gather information. You can find networking events on Handshake and professional associations also host conferences for networking.
- Virtual Career Fairs - The Career Center hosts career fairs in the fall and spring where you can meet employers who are hiring. You can find career fairs on Handshake.
About Career Fairs
Drop in during virtual group advising to ask your initial questions or start the conversation, whether it’s related to résumés, interviews, internships and job searching or general career planning. Learn with and from your peers as career advisors help you form an initial strategy.
- 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month
- 12 p.m.
Work on an individual basis with a career advisor who will guide you through every step of the Career Development Journey and provide you with an understanding of what is important to reach your career goal and become a professional.
Email [email protected] or call 323-343-3237 to schedule an appointment.