Career Course Resources
Online Career Tools
The Career Center provides self-guided online software to support students with each step of career planning. Faculty and staff can create a student account to view the tools and choose activities for class or advising activities. Some software allows for a faculty account so you can design assignments. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Self & Career Exploration
Focus 2 Career is an online, self-guided assessment service that provides valid and reliable assessments including the Holland code (work interest), MBTI types (personality), values and abilities. Each assessment takes about 5 to 10 minutes to complete. Students can combine their assessment results and explore career options and academic majors that align with their qualities. Career options provided are limited to the approximately 867 detailed occupations defined by the Standard Occupational Classification system. For help getting started, watch our instructional videos on How to Use the sections of Focus 2 Career.
Create your free student account using the access code: EAGLESLA
What Can I Do With This Major? helps students see common career areas they can enter with the major, typical employers that hire in this field and strategies to maximize career opportunities. The majors listed are general academic majors named by CIP code designation.
Vault Guide to Jobs includes industry guides, ranking guides and guides to key careers and industries.
Employers by Major lists employers in California who have hired grads within the major.
Candid Career provides video interviews with professionals in their careers. Students can explore career videos by industry, major, career titles and more.
Career Advice Videos
CareerSpots videos provide career advice from industry experts. Channels include career-ready skills, job-search skills and student success stories.
Job Interview Practice
Big Interview is an online job interview preparation system that allows students to do mock interviews and receive AI-based feedback. Students can practice interviews in their industry/major and for advanced education admissions. Lessons are also provided.
Cal State LA Handshake is the campus job platform that connects students with student jobs on campus, off-campus part-time jobs, internships and entry-level careers. Employers hiring on Handshake are looking to hire Golden Eagles. In addition to employment, students can register for employer information sessions and career fairs. They can share their career profiles and network with peers and employers. For more about Handshake, watch their Campus to Career video and the How to Search for Jobs on Handshake video.
Create your free student account using your Cal State LA email.
Career advisors and coordinators provide handouts and rubrics for the content shared in our student career workshops. You are welcome to use these instructional materials in your course. If you have questions, please email [email protected] for support.
Career Competencies & The Future of Work
- What is Career Readiness? (defined by the National Association of Colleges and Employers)
- Why Adopting an Agile Learning Mindset is Crucial for Your Career (Forbes Careers Contributor Heather E. McGowan)
- Context About the Future of Work and Learning (Forbes Careers Contributor Heather E. McGowan)
- The Future of Jobs Report - Section 2.2 Forecasts for Labor Market Evolution in 2020-2025 (World Economic Forum)
- Projected Openings in Occupations that Require a College Degree (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Sept 2021)
- Education and Training Assignments by Detailed Occupation (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2020)
Career Exploration & Planning
- My Professional Brand Worksheet
- My Professional Brand Rubric
- The Career Development Journey (video and website)
- Choose Your Own Career Adventure Checklist
- My Professional Development Plan Template
For presentations that support these documents, please visit our student resources under Explore Career Paths.
Résumé & Cover Letter Writing
- From Campus to Career on Handshake (introductory Handshake video by Handshake)
- How to Search for Jobs Using Handshake (video by Handshake)
- LinkedIn Profile Checklist for College Students (handout by LinkedIn)
For presentations that support these documents, please visit our student resources under Find Opportunities.