The following is an update on the formats we will be using to provide remote services to students and parents for the remainder of the academic year. These formats comply with public health mandates intended to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Academic Advisors continue to provide weekly academic advising sessions. They will contact students and parents by phone and email. They will also conduct college awareness workshops and group advising sessions using zoom video conferencing and/or google classroom.
- Spring Retreat Field Trip has been postponed until it is safe to travel. We anticipate postponing the trip until the next academic year.
- Senior Graduation Ceremony will take place by zoom video conference.
- Pasadena students will be recognized on Tuesday, May 26th at 10am
- Los Angeles students will be recognized on Wednesday, May 27th at 10am.
- Summer Program
Summer Orientations Dates:
- Thursday, June 18th at 6pm for Pasadena Students - ZOOM Video Conferencing
- Tuesday, June 16, 2020 at 6pm for Los Angeleres Students - ZOOM Video Conferencing
Virtual Summer Program 2020
- Monday, June 22, 2020 - Friday, July 31, 2020
This summer for the first time in the history of our Upward Bound Programs, we will be providing a six-week Virtual Summer Program. We will be offering enrichment online courses, tutoring, academic advising and college awareness workshops. The online courses will be offered in platforms that will be supervised by program staff to ensure the safety of our students.
After School Study Hall - Participants attend study hall at their respective high school three days a week for one hour after school. During study hall the participants receive tutoring and academic advising. School supplies and snacks are provided.
Saturday Academy - Participants attend 18 Saturday Academy sessions at Cal State LA where they receive supplemental instruction in English, math and science. School supplies and a meal are provided.
Student Enrichment Activities - Participants visit 2-4 universities every year. In addition, the participants have the opportunity to attend student conferences and workshops where they receive information about financial aid, college admissions requirements, SAT/ACT preparation, leadership development, and multicultural awareness.
Academic Advising - Participants work closely with an Academic Advisor who provides academic guidance throughout their high school years and beyond. The Academic Advisor is responsible for tracking participants' academic progress and ensuring that every participant is on a college track from the moment they are admitted into the program.
Application and Information
If you are currently in the 8th, 9th or 10th grade and meet the eligibility requirements, you may apply to be a participant of the Cal State LA. Upward Bound Programs. Acceptance into the program is based on the following: complete application packet, eligibility requirements, and interview process. To obtain an application or more information call the Upward Bound Office at (323) 343-3238. You can download and print the application.