Admission to Cal State LA
- If you are interested in a working on a PhD with me, unfortunately, Cal State LA does not offer a Computer Science PhD program.
- If you are interested in the MS or BS program, I encourage you to apply! You do not need to contact me. I do not have influence over the admissions decision for your application.
XP Lab Journal Club
Students who are interested in reading and learning more about virtual reality, augmented reality, and research in human-computer interaction can join our journal club!
A journal club is like a book club, except that we gather to read and discuss research papers from academic conferences and journals, instead of books recommended by Oprah Winfrey. (Although book clubs are great, too!)
Look for an announcement sent out early each term, or contact me if you might have missed the journal club announcement.
- I enjoy working with undergraduate and graduate students on research and deeper dives into advanced computer science topics. I have worked with dozens of students on various research and development projects.
- I am happy to guide undergraduate and graduate students towards opportunities in research. My research interests typically fall into human-computer interaction, 3D interaction, and virtual/augmented reality. I am happy to speak with you about research in these areas.
- I strongly recommend that students apply for summer internships at companies, government institutions, and other universities. These are internships that pay you for your work, often provide a stipend for living expenses, and provide valuable job experience. The NSF REU program is one that I highly recommend.
Senior Capstone Projects
I enjoy mentoring senior design capstone projects. Please see the Capstone Senior Design Program page for more information.
Master's Projects and Theses
- A Master's degree has a great return on investment when you consider the time required and the career benefit. A Master's degree allows you to follow your interests and develop your skills and knowledge more deeply. The CS graduate studies page is a good starting point to learn more about the MS program at Cal State LA.
- My research interests typically fall into human-computer interaction, 3D interaction, and virtual/augmented reality. I am happy to speak with you about advising Master's projects and theses in these areas.
- Unfortunately, Cal State LA does not have a PhD program in Computer Science.
- I am happy to support and mentor Postdoctoral Researchers in my lab. However, I currently do not have any funding available for postdocs.
Opportunities to support the research and education of student researchers include:
- Sponsoring Capstone Senior Design Projects
- Unrestricted gifts to support research
- Contracts or grants to support research on a topic or problem of mutual interest
- Cooperative agreements to establish research collaborations
Please contact me for details.