Admission Procedures and Deadlines

Admission Procedures

Domestic Applicants

Fall 2023 deadline for application is May 31, 2023. Only a Cal State Apply application is needed for this program.

Cal State Apply


International Applicants 

  • International applicants (those requiring a F/J visa to study in the US) to a graduate/postbaccalaureate program with non-US academic records/transcripts are required to submit their international records (with the institutions grading scale), and ATA certified English translation(s), to one of the following Foreign Credential Evaluation agencies for initial academic evaluation:

  • After applying to Cal State LA, visit IERF or WES and create an online application requesting the "Course-by-Course, Detailed Report” to be submitted to the CSU Los Angeles-Graduate Studies. For steps on how to submit your foreign academic records to these agencies. Please select the correct report type; incorrect report types may lead to missed deadlines, and the withdrawal of your admission application.

  • We do not accept foreign credential evaluation reports from other agencies. Reports must be sent directly from IERF or WES to the Cal State LA Admissions Office.

  1. A BA or BS from an accredited university
  2. A 2.75 grade point average in the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units
  3. Meet English Language Proficiency if the Bachelor's degree was not earned at an accredited college/university where English is the only language of instruction.

  1. Two letters of recommendation from university faculty or professional references - you will need your recommenders' email address -
  2. Unofficial transcripts (bachelors degree and any universities attended after you received your BA or BS) - current or former Cal State LA students still need to submit unofficial transcripts
  3. Statement of carrier purpose. 2-3 pages
  4. For further information on how to apply to Cal State LA go to this page:


Unofficial transcripts

What is an unofficial transcript?

  • a pdf of your transcript taken from a website (like GET)
  • a scanned copy of a transcript - which was probably official transcript until the seal was broken on the envelope

Official Transcripts

All the information about sending transcripts and how to send them can be found on the Submitting Documents page. They have a drop-down menu to help you find the information. There are instructions for submitting electronic transcripts and make sure to look for the 'Where to send/submit academic documents for Admissions' drop-down.

Tuition costs can be found at the Student and Finance Serice Center. Once you're on the Student and Finance Service Center page, the menu on the left will direct you to the current fees for the semesters listed.

Contact Lia Kamhi-Stein. She can help you with the admissions process.