Adult Education

Adult Education

When special needs children turn 18, they acquire their rights as adults, and after 22 years of age at the end of public education, they will have to learn to live on their own.

ITP is required to be included in an IEP from age 16, and it must inform that special needs children will have rights as adults. For children with intellectual disability and those who are unable to realize their rights, guardianship and conservatorship must be requested and be put in place. Also, for financial independency for quality life, it is important to establish a special trust fund in place.

Self-management, dating, and marriage plans should be in place, in addition to the ability to work and spend time at a day activity center. It is also important to have a plan in place to leave home and to live in an apartment or a group home.

Many parents have no specific plans for the future, thinking that they would always be there to help their children. Or after their passing, most parents plan to ask other non-disabled siblings to take care of their child with disabilities. However, it is advised to parents gradually to plan for their child with disabilities as early as possible so that he/she can be well prepared for his/her lives. They can plan ahead of time with whom the child to live and to create a network of people whom he/she loves. It is more secure to develop a network of caring people and living arrangement in a transition plan so that parents can see their child living happily and independently.

In addition to working and independently living in their adulthoods, children with disabilities should be encouraged to develop hobbies and participate in leisure activities, and to connect to the local organizations of similar interests in order to continuously work in their interested fields.


Certificate Transition Specialist