✖ With Others
Students write an expanded essay that analyzes a perspective, present an interpretation, evaluate a finding, or argue a point.
A Research Paper is not simply an informed summary, but does require a survey a field of knowledge or topic to find the most appropriate information.
Research Papers are expanded essays that can be broken down into smaller low-stakes assignments in a course. Here is an example:
- Week 2: Assignment: Students submit a proposed research topic for review
- Week 3: Discussion: Students share a topic, where they find their research, and their findings so far.
- Week 5: Assignment: Students turn in an Annotated Bibliography
- Week 9: Peer Review Assignment: Students submit Rough Draft
- Week 12: Assignment: Students submit final revision (Signature Assignment)
The level indicates this activity’s place within Bloom’s Taxonomy of learning (Cognitive Domain). Higher-levels contains lower-levels within it.
- Canvas Assignment
The one main teaching goal for your activity
- Lab, P. W. (n.d.). Genre and the Research Paper // Purdue Writing Lab. Retrieved October 16, 2019, from Purdue Writing Lab website: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/common_writing_assignments/research_papers/genre_and_the_research_paper.html
- What is a Research Paper? | Online Writing Center | SUNY Empire State College. (n.d.). Retrieved October 16, 2019, from https://www.esc.edu/online-writing-center/resources/research/research-paper/