Cal State LA Student Organization Banking
Any and all bank accounts for recognized student organizations must bank through the University-Student Union (U-SU) process as required by CSU Administrative Policy 3141.01 and the Cal State LA Student Organization Funds Administration Policy. Any organization accounts at other financial institutions must be closed and the funds deposited in a new account through U-SU no later than June 30, 2017. Failure to comply with these policies can ultimately affect your student organization’s recognition at Cal State LA. For more information on this policy please contact the Center for Student Involvement (CSI) at 323-343-5110.
How to setup your Cal State LA Student Organization Account
In order to setup your account your organization will need to complete and submit the Student Organization Account Application to CSI, U-SU Room 204.
- Please note that your organization must meet all recognition requirements before this form can be processed.
- Required signatures on the form include: Advisor(s), the president, treasurer, and other authorized signors your organization chooses.
- Upon submission of this form you will be provided an account number for your organization’s account once it’s been fully processed.
- Please note that there is no cost associated with creating and utilizing this university account.
How to start using your Cal State LA Student Organization Account
Your organization will be able to make use of this account through the on-campus banking system after following these steps:
- Once your account has been setup you will receive confirmation via email.
- Once you’ve been instructed to via email, pick up a copy of your application with your new account number from the U-SU Administration office, at U-SU Room 306. You should maintain a copy of this application.
- If you have a current account at an off-campus banking institution you should close that account in order to transition to your on-campus account.
- All off campus accounts should be closed by June 30, 2017.
- Before you close that account, your organization should request a copy of the last month’s financial/bank statement and submit the statement to U-SU 306 when making your initial deposit.
Please note that only the authorized signers as indicated on the application form you submitted can make this deposit and have access to your account. If your organization has elected new officers, you will need to update your officers by submitting and updated Officer Information Form and an updated Student Organization Account Application to CSI.
The Student Organization Account Application must be completed annually at minimum (along with the Officer Information Form) and if the president, treasurer, additional officer(s), and/or advisor(s) change throughout the academic year.
How to apply for an exception to the Cal State LA Student Organization Banking Policy
Any exceptions to this requirement [e.g., nationally affiliated organizations or local organizations with a separate 501(c)(3) status] must be approved by the campus CFO or designee.
If you organization needs to apply for this exception it should refer to the Request for Exception to Cal State LA Student Organizations Funds Administration Policy form and follow these steps:
- Return the completed form to U-SU Room 306 c/o Associate Executive Director of the U-SU.
- Your organization will also need to provide a written request providing the legal name of the organization, the tax ID number, and the bank name, branch address, and bank account number of the organization.
- Requests for exceptions should be submitted as soon as possible if not by June 30, 2017.
Your organization will receive an email regarding the status of your submitted application.
Only if your request has been approved will your organization be approved to continue its off campus banking practices as indicated on the exception request form.
You will be provided instructions to pick up a copy of your organization’s submitted and approved request form from the U-SU Administration office, at U-SU Room 306. Please maintain this file for your organization’s records. If at any time your organization wishes to move its banking practices on campus, your organization can complete and submit a Student Organization Account Application to CSI.
Organizations who are denied the exception must either address the reasons as to why they were denied and resubmit or must comply with the Cal State LA Student Organization Banking Policy and submit a Student Organization Account Application to CSI.