General Submission Guidelines
Inspired by a recent revival in portraiture, Statement Magazine’s Spring 2022 edition has adopted portraiture as its central theme. The Spring 2022 edition poses questions regarding identity, persona, character, representation, and how people maneuver through their environments. Portraiture is a point of suggestion which writers and artists should feel free to interpret as they wish. We look forward to seeing how the tradition of portraiture is interpreted or used in the work of both writers and visual artists.
How to Submit Work to Statement Magazine:
Email: [email protected]
Please include the type of submission in the title (ex: Poetry Submission).
What Can You Submit?
- All literary submissions are invited, including, but not limited to fiction, creative non-fiction, scripts/drama, poems, short-form graphic novels, cartoons, comics, visual poems, paintings, drawings, cross genre/intermedia works, etc.
- Written submissions should be a maximum of 2000 words and may be full pieces or excerpts of longer works that can stand alone.
- All art submissions are invited, including, but not limited to painting, drawing, photography, digital art, and sculpture, etc.
- There is a limit of four (4) total submissions per individual. Submitters are not limited to working in only one medium and/or genre.
- We ask that no previously published or simultaneous submissions be submitted.
What Should You Include?
All persons wishing to submit work are welcomed.
Cover Sheet: A single .doc or .docx file with your name, CIN number (for current Cal State LA students), email address, the title(s) of your submission(s), and a short biography (max. of 75 words). This is the only place where your name should appear.
- File name must be formatted with the Title of Work. (ex: TheLoveStory.doc.)
- Written work must be in .doc or .docx format. A .pdf file of the work needs to be included as well.
- Only the title of the piece and a word count should be included on the first page.
- Each writing submission must be submitted in a separate file.
- We are employing a blind submission process; do not include any headers or footers with information that identifies you such as your name, your CIN, or your email address. (ex: Smith1, or [email protected])
Cover Sheet: A single .doc or .docx file with your name, CIN number (for current Cal State LA students), email address, the title(s) of your submission(s) and a short biography (max. of 75 words). This is the only place, other than the file name, where your name should appear. Please include the medium used to create the artwork and the year the artwork was created along with the title on the cover letter.
- File name must be formatted as Last name, First name, and Title of Work. (ex: DoeJaneTheColorsoftheWind.jpg.)
- Images must be in .jpg format.
- Digital files for art submissions must be print quality, at least 300 dpi.
- Each art piece must be submitted in a separate file.
- Submissions that do not follow guidelines will not be considered.
- Accepted material will be acknowledged by email notification.
If you have any questions please contact us at [email protected] !