Enhance Your Interview Skills
Strong interview skills are valuable when applying for a job. Your résumé and cover letter might get you through the door, but a good interview can propel you further in the selection process. The resources on this page can help you prepare for an interview.
- Know what to expect from professional interviews.
- Be prepared to answer general interview questions.
- Prepare to answer situational interview questions.
- Prepare to answer behavioral interview questions.
- Know how to end the interview and follow up.
Whether you are interviewing for an internship, a student job on campus, an entry-level position or graduate school, it's important to know about the interview standards and norms. Career advisors provide these resources to help you know what to expect.
- Interview Preparation Guide (presentation)
- How to Make a Good Impression in a Virtual Interview (Handshake Blog)
General interview questions tend to be broad and assess your general knowledge, qualities and aspirations. Career advisors provide examples of general interview questions and how to answer them using the M.S.R. method.
Situational interview questions allow the interviewer to assess how you would handle a particular situation on the job. Career advisors provide examples of situtaional interview questions and how to answer them using the A.R.C. method.
Behavioral interview questions allow the interviewer to ask about your past experiences and hear examples that demonstrate your character and abilities. Career advisors provide examples of behavioral interview questions and how to answer them using the S.T.A.R. method.
- Behavioral Interview Question Guide (presentation)
- S.T.A.R. Response Template (handout)
- Vault Guide to Behavioral Interviews (eBook)
The interviewer may have finished asking their questions, but it does not mean the interviewer assessment is finished. Career advisors provide examples of how to answer the closing question, "Do you have any questions for us?" and how to follow up after the interview.
- Ending the Interview and Follow Up Guide (presentation)
Online Job Interview Preparation System
The Career Center provides an online job interview preparation system that allows you to do mock interviews and receive AI-based feedback. You can practice common interviews in your industry/major or follow the interview online course training.
Career advisors and coordinators can help with self and career exploration, career planning, internships, career networking, résumé and interview skills, and employment searches. We offer group and individual appointments.