As you explore graduate schools and programs, please remember that continuing your education not only requires a significant time commitment, but a financial commitment as well. Below are some tips and suggestions on how to select the right program for you.
- Begin by researching programs and institutions that match your interests and needs. Are you open to schools outside of California? Outside of the United States? Take detailed notes on admission requirements, tuition costs, program highlights, notable faculty, and more, using the Postgraduate Program Assessment Coversheet provided by NISFeP.
- Meet with Cal State LA faculty, such as departmental graduate advisors, to discuss your educational and career goals.
- Meet with the Career Center to explore career pathways and the level of education needed to achieve your career goals.
- Reach out to faculty at the institutions you have researched and ask thoughtful questions.
- Once you have narrowed down your top choice(s), determine the cost of attendance, if applicable. Does the institution offer scholarships? Grants? Paid teaching assistant positions?
- Research off-campus or external funding options. Schedule a meeting NISFeP to discuss your options.