CHDV 220, The Young Child covers both the theoretical and practical bases of child development during the preschool years. In addition to regular weekly class meetings, students are required to complete 32 hours of fieldwork experience during the 10-week quarter (3 hours, 15 minutes per week). In order to substitute work hours for fieldwork experience, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must have a minimum of three years full-time direct teaching experience in a licensed early childhood setting or its equivalent.
- The program in which you worked must be a developmentally based early childhood program (3 to 5 year olds).
- You must be the lead teacher (not a teaching assistant).
Students who meet the above requirements may request an evaluation to waive the fieldwork requirement. Students who have worked with infants/toddlers are not eligible to substitute work hours for fieldwork experience.
Request an Evaluation
To request an evaluation, students should prepare a folder that includes the following:
- Cover letter providing details of the student's name, contact information (phone, e-mail, etc.), job title, job description that includes the duration of the employment and age level of children taught, qualifications, and related work experience.
- Verification letter from the director of the program on official letter head stating 1) job title and responsibilities, 2) years of service, and 3) evaluation of overall performance.
- Portfolio that includes copies of daily routines, sample lesson plans, samples of children's work, and documentation of classroom activities.
Students seeking to substitute their work experience for the fieldwork hours in CHDV 220 should submit all requested materials to the Fieldwork Coordinator of Child and Family Studies, Dr. Yafen Lo, during the eighth week of the quarter prior to the one in which he/she wishes to be enrolled in CHDV 220. For example, if the student wishes to be enrolled in CHDV 200, Winter 2009, he/she needs to submit his/her application on Week 8 of Fall 2008.
Documentation may be dropped off in the Department Office E&T 535.
Notification and What to Expect
The student will be informed of a decision in two weeks. Please keep in mind that even with the substitution of the required 32 practicum hours students will still have to complete all practicum and course assignments required by the instructor of CHDV 220.