International Transfer Admission

campus view
Photo by: Timmy Truong @ University Times

Learn what Cal State L.A. has to offer

Explore undergraduate programs



Who is considered an International Student?

If you will be attending Cal State L.A. on a student visa (F-1/J-1), you are considered an international student. If you are a United States resident, or citizen, with foreign coursework, please apply as a domestic transfer applicant.

Who is considered a Transfer Applicant?

  • A transfer is a student who has attempted college units beyond the summer immediately after high school graduation.
  • Upper-Division Transfer - An applicant who completes 60 or more semester (90 or more quarter) transferable units is considered an upper division transfer student.
  • Lower-Division Transfer - An applicant who completes fewer than 60 semester (90 quarter) units of college credit is considered a lower division transfer student. Due to enrollment pressures, most CSU campuses do not admit lower division transfers so that more upper division transfers can be accommodated. Cal State L.A. is currently not accepting lower division transfer applicants.

International Transfer Admission Eligibility Requirements: What do we look for?

By the end of the last qualifying coursework term for admissions, applicants must meet all of the following:

  • Complete at least 60 transferrable semester (90 quarter) units, which includes General Education courses;
  • Earn grades of “C” or better in college-level English Composition, Oral Communication, Critical Thinking, and college-level Mathematics courses:
  • Have an overall minimum transferrable college grade point average of at least 2.00;
  • Be in good standing and eligible to re-enroll at your last college or university attended;
  • Meet campus and/or program impaction requirements, as applicable; and
  • Regardless of residency, if you have not attended a high school/secondary level education institution where English was the principal language of instruction for at least three years full time, or have not completed a transferable college-level English Composition course from a United States post-secondary institution, with a grade of 'C' or better, you must obtain a minimum English Language Proficiency Exam score.



Procedure for Applying to Cal State L.A. as a Transfer Applicant

  1. Review the admission criteria for a transfer applicant. Some academic majors are impacted and may have additional admission requirements. Please refer to the impaction page for more information ("IMPACTION" refers to programs for which the applications received far exceed the number of spaces available for admission.)
  2. International students must submit the application by the domestic undergraduate application deadline to be considered for an impacted major/program. Please note that the domestic admission application deadline is usually earlier than the international deadline.

Ready to apply?

  1. Apply to Cal State L.A. via, using the International Admissions Application. Please submit your application by the desired admission term's stated application deadline.

  2. Pay the $55 (USD) application fee online at time of application submisison, or mail a money order to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment. If you mail in payment, please include your Cal State L.A. Campus Identification Number, which you will receive within 3-5 days after submitting the online application. (NOTE: If you do not pay the application fee online at time of application submission, there is no option to submit it online at a later date. It must be paid using a cashier's/travel check or money order.)

  3. Submit the required documents to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment by the term's deadline.

  4. Official copies of all post-secondary records including certificates, degrees or diplomas in original language of issue with a certified English translation.

  5. Applicants who have studied in the U.S. are required to have the institutions in the U.S. send the transcripts directly to Cal State L.A.

  6. Results of English Language Proficiency Exams (e.g., TOEFL, IELTS, PTE) must be sent directly to Cal State L.A. from the testing agency.

  7. Submit the Affidavit of Financial Support with bank statements and a copy of your passport biographical page to the International Office.

  8. If you are currently studying in the U.S. as a F1 or J1 international student, contact your current school's international office regarding transfer out procedures.

For more details, please visit the International Office webpage.


When to apply - Transfer Dates & Deadlines

Deadlines vary by admission term. View the deadlines for the term you would like to begin your studies at Cal State LA.


Can I speak to an advisor before applying?

pre admission advising

Yes, admissions advisement is available at local community colleges and at Cal State L.A. To see if an advisor is available at your community college, please visit your school's transfer center. Or you may schedule an on-campus appointment by visiting the Pre-Admissions webpage.