Frequently Asked Questions and Event Planning Resources

Here is the list of Frequently Asked Questions that many organizations members ask in regard to planning events on or off campus.

If you answer yes to any of the following questions, you must submit an Event Form.  Is your organization… 

  • Planning the event (reserving facilities, booking talent, etc.)? 
  • Contributing money toward the event? 
  • Assisting with the logistics or implementation of the event? 
  • Represented on a committee that is planning the event? 
  • Allowing their name or logo to appear on publicity (printed or electronic)? 
  • Passing out fliers or assisting with the publicity for the event? 
  • Attending an off-campus event? 
  • Selling tickets to the event? 
  • Volunteering at or staffing the event? 
  • Hosting a general meeting?  

Yes, in order to have any type of event on or off campus, your organization must submit a completed Event Registration Form. 

If the event is on campus and food and/or beverages not provided by University Catering will be available, you must also submit a Temporary Food Facility Permit. 

Each on campus event must have reserved space, so please complete the appropriate reservation processes based on your event location. 

All forms must be submitted at least 10 business days prior to the event and before any publicity is posted.  It is a good idea to get it in earlier, to confirm reservations, publicity, etc. Any large scale event must be submitted at minimum 20 business days in advance. 

The Event Form must be signed by the student organization on-campus advisor, the student organization officer responsible for the event, and the Center for Student Involvement staff once it has been completed and reviewed. 

If the event is a fundraiser, the organization President and Treasurer must sign the Statement of Policy Regarding Fund Raisers on the back side of the Event Form. 

Please visit Presence to complete the Event Registration form. 

The Temporary Food Facility Permit is a form required for all organizations to submit if they are planning an event ON CAMPUS, with food and/or beverages not provided by University Catering.  Commonly referred to as the ‘Food Permit,’ this form requires the signature of 3 different entities on campus.  Please complete the online permit form listed in the “Food at events module” on Presence. The form will be automatically sent to the following departments. 

  1. Center for Student Involvement 
  2. University  Auxiliary Services 
  3. Environmental Health and Safety. 

Yes.  A Food Permit is required any time your organization will be serving any kind of food or beverages not provided by University Catering. 

No. A Food Permit is not required for off campus events. 

Yes, an Event Registration Form must be completed and submitted at least 10 business days prior to the event. 

Your organization must submit an Event Registration Form, with both the President and Treasurer’s signatures under the Statement of Policy Regarding Proceeds to Benefits Transactions.  If the activity is on campus, and involves food not provided by University Catering, a Food Permit is also required. 

Yes, an event Registration Form is required for your organization's general meetings.  

No. An Event Registration Form must be submitted at least 10 business days in advance, no exceptions will be made.  If your event date is 9 business days away, you may change the date of your event to reflect the 10 business day policy. 10 business days allows for the appropriate review process and gives you time to reserve your venue. 

Depending on the nature and scope of your event, your organization may qualify for student organization funding through ASI.  For more information contact ASI at 323-343-4778 or visit their website.

Contact CSI!  Our staff is here to assist all organizations with various needs, from helping brainstorm activities, to doing an event checklist, and providing workshops.  You can contact us at [email protected].