We welcome motivated and talented students with different backgrounds (e.g., Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology) to become an integral part of the Bio-Nano Materials and Interfaces Lab. Student research assistant positions may be available throughout the year. If you are interested in joining the group send Dr. Hu an email.
AREA OF SPECIALIZATION
Nanomechanics and Nanomaterials; Low Dimensional Materials; Interfacial Phenomena; Biomimetics and Bioinspiration; Multiscale Modeling and Simulation.
Dr. Hu is an Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering with a background in Applied Mechanics and Materials Science. Before joining the faculty at Cal State LA in 2016, he worked as a Teaching Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at the University of Denver (DU). Prior to DU, he spent several years as a postdoctoral researcher at multiple institutes (i.e., Case Western Reserve University, University of Florida, and University of Delaware) focusing on multifunctional and smart carbon, polymeric and hybrid materials for energy, biomedical and defense applications.
Dr. Hu’s teaching interests are at the crossroads of Solid Mechanics and Materials Science and Engineering, including: Statics; Strength of Materials; Fracture Mechanics; Fatigue and Failure; Fundamentals of Materials Science and Engineering; Composites; Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology; Nano-Tribology; Biomimetics and Biomimicry; Microstructural Characterization of Materials; Molecular Dynamics (MD) Simulations; Finite Element Analysis (FEA).
Dr. Hu’s research activities primarily concentrate in the areas of: i) Bio-/Nano-Materials and Mechanics; ii) Multifunctional and Energy Materials and Devices, and; iii) Nanotechnology Research, with emphasis on bio-inspired design, structure-function relationships, surface/interfacial interactions, transport phenomena and structural hierarchy. He seeks organisms and biological systems as ‘elegant’ models to solve intricate engineering problems in an energy-efficient, eco-friendly and sustainable manner. He is focused on addressing the emergent phenomena and properties across multiple length and temporal scales. This new paradigm of bio-inspired research is aimed at the elucidation of some of the basic principles and mechanisms in nature, including animals, insects, and plants, in order to create next-generation smart materials and complex superstructures that are responsive to external stimuli, e.g., switchable dry/wet adhesives; active self-cleaning, anti-fouling, anti-bacterial surfaces; hierarchical/hybrid fibrils with self-healing and wear-prevention capabilities, water harvesting coatings and thin films. These functional materials and structures are highly desirable in renewable energy, biomedical, environmental, and defense applications.
- Quan Xu, Travis Shihao Hu, Xiaowei Wang, Jie Wang, and Zhenhai Xia. "Syntheses, Mechanisms, and Applications of Bio-Inspired Self-Cleaning Surfaces" in "Biomimicry for Materials, Design and Habitats: Innovations and Applications", Eds. Marjan Eggermont, Vikram Shyam, Aloysius F. Hepp; Elsevier; 1st Edition; March 7, 2022; Pages 367-392; (ISBN-10: 0128210532; ISBN-13: 978-0128210536). https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-821053-6.00005-9.
- Xiaoxiao Dong, Zhen Yang, Jiayi Li, Wenquan Jiang, Jianmin Ren, Yanting Xu, Travis Shihao Hu, and Ming Li. "Recent advances of triboelectric, piezoelectric and pyroelectric nanogenerators" Nano-Structures & Nano-Objects, 2023, 35, 100990. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nanoso.2023.100990.
- Xiaohang Luo, Xiaoxiao Dong, Hong Zhao, Travis Shihao Hu, Xiuping Lan, Lan Ding, Jiapeng Li, Huiqin Ni, Jordan A. Contreras, Hongbo Zeng, and Quan Xu. "Near-Infrared Responsive Gecko-Inspired Flexible Arm Gripper" Materials Today Physics, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mtphys.2022.100919.
- Xiaoxiao Dong, Xiaohang Luo, Hong Zhao, Chenyu Qiao, Jiapeng Li, Jianhong Yi, Li Yang, Francisco J. Oropeza, Travis Shihao Hu, Quan Xu, and Hongbo Zeng. "Recent Advances in Biomimetic Soft Robotics: Fabrication Approaches, Driven Strategies and Applications" Soft Matter, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1039/D2SM01067D.
- Quan Xu, Yaoyao Tang, Peide Zhu, Weiye Zhang, Yuqi Zhang, Oliver Sanchez Solis, Travis Shihao Hu, and Juncheng Wang. "Machine Learning Guided Microwave-Assisted Quantum Dot Synthesis and an Indication of Residual H2O2 in Human Teeth" Nanoscale, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1039/D2NR03718A.
- Yiqiang Li, Yuanyuan Mi, Zheyu Liu, Yinping Liu, Weiye Zhang, Shangxing Qiu, Melvin A. Ramos, Travis Shihao Hu, and Quan Xu. "MoO3-x Quantum Dots-Based Hydrogel with Excellent Light-Triggered Self-Healing Efficiency and Pressure Sensitive Photoluminescence for Accurate Remote Force Measurement" Materials Today Physics, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mtphys.2022.100807.
- Quan Xu, Yingchun Niu, Jiapeng Li, Ziji Yang, Jiajia Gao, Lan Ding, Huiqin Ni, Peide Zhu, Yinping Liu, Yaoyao Tang, Zhong-Peng Lv, Bo Peng, Travis Shihao Hu, Hongjun Zhou, and Chunming Xu. "Recent Progress of Quantum Dots for Energy Storage Applications" Carbon Neutrality, 2022, 1, 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1007/s43979-022-00002-y.
- Yanbao Guo, Min Zhang, Hui Yang, Deguo Wang, Melvin A. Ramos, Travis Shihao Hu, and Quan Xu. "Friction Challenge in Hydraulic Fracturing" Lubricants, 2022, 10, 14. https://doi.org/10.3390/lubricants10020014.
- Weijun Li, Hao Liu, Yuanyuan Mi, Miaoran Zhang, Jinmiao Shi, Ming Zhao, Melvin A. Ramos, Travis Shihao Hu, Jianxiong Li, Meng Xu, and Quan Xu. "Robust and Conductive Hydrogel Based on Mussel Adhesive Chemistry for Remote Monitoring of Body Signals" Friction, 2022, 10, 80-93. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40544-020-0416-x.
- Yuanyuan Mi, Yingchun Niu, Huiqin Ni, Yida Zhang, Lulu Wang, Yinping Liu, Melvin A. Ramos, Travis Shihao Hu, and Quan Xu. "Gecko Inspired Reversible Adhesion via Quantum Dots Enabled Photo-Detachment" Chemical Engineering Journal, 2022, 431, 134081. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2021.134081.
- Haiyan Xiang, Yueshao Zheng, Yang Chen, Yanting Xu, Travis Shihao Hu, Yexin Feng, Yu Zhou, Song Liu, and Xuli Chen. "Self-Gating Enhanced Carrier Transfer in Semiconductor Electrocatalyst Verified in Microdevice" Chinese Chemical Letters, 2022, 33, 3221-3226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cclet.2021.10.033.
- Xiaohang Luo, Xiaoxiao Dong, Yanguang Hou, Lifu Zhang, Penghao Zhang, Jiaye Cai, Ming Zhao, Melvin A. Ramos, Travis Shihao Hu, Hong Zhao, and Quan Xu. "Photo-Detachable Self-Cleaning Surfaces Inspired by Gecko Toepads" Langmuir, 2021, 37, 8410-8416. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.langmuir.1c00568.
- Panlei Liu, Na Sun, Yuanyuan Mi, Xiaohang Luo, Xiaoxiao Dong, Jiaye Cai, Xilai Jia, Melvin A. Ramos, Travis Shihao Hu, and Quan Xu. "Ultra-Low CNTs Filled High-Performance Fast Self-Healing Triboelectric Nanogenerators for Wearable Electronics" Composites Science and Technology, 2021, 208, 108733. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2021.108733.
- Yeqing Xu, Xingxing Jiang, Gonglei Shao, Haiyan Xiang, Sisi Si, Xing Li, Travis Shihao Hu, Guo Hong, Shengyi Dong, Huimin Li, Yexin Feng, and Song Liu. "Interface Effect of Ru-MoS2 Nanoflowers on Lignin Substrate for Enhanced Hydrogen Evolution Activity" Energy & Environmental Materials, 2021, 4, 117-125. https://doi.org/10.1002/eem2.12104.
- Xiaoxiao Dong, Hong Zhao, Jiapeng Li, Yu Tian, Hongbo Zeng, Melvin A. Ramos, Travis Shihao Hu, and Quan Xu. "Progress in Bioinspired Dry and Wet Gradient Materials from Design Principles to Engineering Applications" iScience, 2020, 23, 101749. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isci.2020.101749.
- Yuanyuan Jin, Miao Cheng, Hang Liu, Miray Ouzounian, Travis Shihao Hu, Bingying You, Gonglei Shao, Xiao Liu, Yeru Liu, Huimin Li, Shisheng Li, Jie Guan, and Song Liu. "Na2SO4-Regulated High-Quality Growth of Transition Metal Dichalcogenides by Controlling Diffusion" Chemistry of Materials, 2020, 32, 5616-5625. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemmater.0c01089.
- Xiaoxiao Dong, Rui Zhang, Yu Tian, Melvin A. Ramos, Travis Shihao Hu, Zhihang Wang, Hong Zhao, Lipeng Zhang, Yiyang Wan, Zhenhai Xia, and Quan Xu. "Functionally Graded Gecko Setae and the Biomimics with Robust Adhesion and Durability" ACS Applied Polymer Materials, 2020, 2, 2658-2666. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsapm.0c00282.
- Hang Liu, Guopeng Qi, Caisheng Tang, Maolin Chen, Yang Chen, Zhiwen Shu, Haiyan Xiang, Yuanyuan Jin, Shanshan Wang, Huimin Li, Miray Ouzounian, Travis Shihao Hu, Huigao Duan, Shisheng Li, Zheng Han, and Song Liu. "Growth of Large-Area Homogeneous Monolayer Transition Metal Disulfides via a Molten Liquid Intermediate Process" ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2020, 12, 13174-13181. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.9b22397.
- Haiyan Xiang, Yueshao Zheng, Yue Sun, Tingting Guo, Pei Zhang, Wei Li, Shiwei Kong, Miray Ouzounian, Hong Chen, Huimin Li, Travis Shihao Hu, Gang Yu, Yexin Feng, and Song Liu. "Bimetallic and Postsynthetic Alloyed PtCu Nanostructures with Tunable Reactivity toward Methanol Oxidation Reaction" Nanoscale Advances, 2020, 2, 1603-1612. https://doi.org/10.1039/D0NA00076K.
- Gonglei Shao, Xiong-Xiong Xue, Binbin Wu, Yung-Chang Lin, Miray Ouzounian, Travis Shihao Hu, Yeqing Xu, Xiao Liu, Shisheng Li, Kazu Suenaga, Yexin Feng, and Song Liu. "Template-Assisted Synthesis of Metallic 1T′-Sn0.3W0.7S2 Nanosheets for Hydrogen Evolution Reaction" Advanced Functional Materials, 2020, 30, 1906069. https://doi/abs/10.1002/adfm.201906069.
- Tingting Yang, Haiyan Xiang, Chaopeng Qin, Yeru Liu, Xiaorui Zhao, Hang Liu, Huimin Li, Miray Ouzounian, Guo Hong, Hong Chen, Qizhi Dong, Travis Shihao Hu, and Song Liu. "Highly Sensitive 1T‐MoS2 Pressure Sensor with Wide Linearity Based on Hierarchical Microstructures of Leaf Vein as Spacer" Advanced Electronic Materials, 2020, 6, 1900916. https://doi.org/10.1002/aelm.201900916.
- Gonglei Shao, Xiong-Xiong Xue, Xionglin Zhou, Jie Xu, Yuanyuan Jin, Shuyan Qi, Nan Liu, Huigao Duan, Shanshan Wang, Shisheng Li, Miray Ouzounian, Travis Shihao Hu, Jun Luo, Song Liu, and Yexin Feng. "Shape Engineered Synthesis of Atomically Thin 1T-SnS2 Catalyzed by Potassium Halides" ACS Nano, 2019, 13, 8265-8274. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.9b03648.
- Xiaoxiao Dong, Hong Zhao, Zhihang Wang, Miray Ouzounian, Travis Shihao Hu, Yongjian Guo, Lipeng Zhang, and Quan Xu. "Gecko-inspired composite micro-pillars with both robust adhesion and enhanced dry self-cleaning property" Chinese Chemical Letters, 2019, 30, 2333-2337. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cclet.2019.07.007.
- Xinxing Gong, Yeru Liu, Haiyan Xiang, Hang Liu, Zhigang Liu, Xiaorui Zhao, Jishan Li, Huimin Li, Guo Hong, Travis Shihao Hu, Hong Chen, Song Liu, and Gang Yu. "Membraneless reproducible MoS2 field-effect transistor biosensor for high sensitive and selective detection of FGF21" SCIENCE CHINA Materials, 2019, 62, 1479-1487. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40843-019-9444-y.
- Yuanyuan Jin, Zanyang Zeng, Zhengwei Xu, Yung-Chang Lin, Kaixi Bi, Gonglei Shao, Travis Shihao Hu, Shanshan Wang, Shisheng Li, Kazu Suenaga, Huigao Duan, Yexin Feng, and Song Liu. "Synthesis and Transport Properties of Degenerate P-type Nb-doped WS2 Monolayers" Chemistry of Materials, 2019, 31, 3534-3541. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemmater.9b00913.
- Pei Chen, Xudong Li, Junfei Ma, Rui Zhang, Fei Qin, Jiaojiao Wang, Travis Shihao Hu, Yilin Zhang, and Quan Xu. "Bio-Inspired Photo-Detachable Dry Self-Cleaning Surface" Langmuir, 2019, 35, 6379-6386. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.langmuir.8b04310.
- Pei Zhang, Haiyan Xiang, Li Tao, Hongjie Dong, Yige Zhou, Travis Shihao Hu, Xuli Chen, Song Liu, Shuangyin Wang, and Slaven Garaj. "Chemically Activated MoS2 for Efficient Hydrogen Production" Nano Energy, 2019, 57, 535-541. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nanoen.2018.12.045.
- Minjie Xu, Chao Hu, Haiyan Xiang, Haozi Lu, Travis Shihao Hu, Bonian Hu, Song Liu, and Gang Yu. "Controllable Phase Transformation and Improved Thermal Stability of Nickel on Tungsten Substrate by Electrodeposition" Journal of Materials Science & Technology, 2019, 35, 727-732. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmst.2018.11.002.
- Quan Xu, Xu Wu, Zhihang Wang, Travis Shihao Hu, Jason Street, Yan Luo, and Zhenhai Xia. "Temperature-Induced Tunable Adhesion of Gecko Setae/Spatulae and Their Biomimics" Materials Today: Proceedings, 2018, 5, 25879-25893. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2018.07.109.
- Shuangkun Zhang, Shafqat Ali, Hanlin Ma, Liqun Zhang, Zhanpeng Wu, Dezhen Wu, and Travis Shihao Hu. "Preparation of Poly(bis(phenoxy)phosphazene) and 31P NMR Analysis of Its Structural Defects under Various Synthesis Conditions" The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2016, 120, 11307-11316. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcb.6b08689.
- Wei Liu, Zhixiao Xu, Dezhen Wu, Zhanpeng Wu, and Travis Shihao Hu. "Systematic Synthesis of Polyimide@Inorganics Core-Shell Microspheres via Ion-exchange and Interfacial Reaction." Materials Letters 2016, 177, 30-33.
- Quan Xu, Yiyang Wan, Travis Shihao Hu, Tony X. Liu, Dashuai Tao, Peter H. Niewiarowski, Yu Tian, Yue Liu, Liming Dai, Yanqing Yang, and Zhenhai Xia. "Robust Self-cleaning and Micromanipulation Capabilities of Gecko Spatulae and Their Bio-mimics." Nature Communications 2015, 6, 8949.
- Yuan Zhao, Shihao Hu, Wei Liu, Guangliang An, Zhanpeng Wu, Dezhen Wu, and Riguang Jin. "Nitrile Butadiene Rubber-Based Heat-Shielding Insulations for Solid Rocket Motors: Effect of Polyimide Fibrous Reinforcement on the Morphology and Properties." High Performance Polymers 2015, 27, 153-160.
- Zhijun Ma, Shihao Hu, Juay Seng Tan, Christopher Myer, Nina M. Njus, and Zhenhai Xia. "In Vitro and In Vivo Mechanical Properties of Human Ulnar and Median Nerves." Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part A 2013, 101A, 2718-2725.
- Shihao Hu, Zhenhai Xia, and Liming Dai. "Advanced Gecko-Foot-Mimetic Dry Adhesives Based on Carbon Nanotubes." Nanoscale 2013, 5, 475-486.
- Shihao Hu, Peter H. Niewiarowski, and Zhenhai Xia. "Sticky yet Clean, The Secrets of the Gecko’s Adhesive System." G.I.T. Laboratory Journal 2012, 16, 14-16.
- Shihao Hu, Stephanie M. Lopez, Peter H. Niewiarowski, and Zhenhai Xia. "Dynamic Self-Cleaning in Gecko Setae via Digital Hyperextension." Journal of the Royal Society Interface 2012, 9, 2781-2790.
- Shihao Hu and Zhenhai Xia. "Rational Design and Nanofabrication of Gecko Inspired Fibrillar Adhesives." Small 2012, 8, 2464-2468.
- Abhishek K. Kothari, Shihao Hu, Zhenhai Xia, Brian W. Sheldon, and Erkan Konca. "Enhanced Fracture Toughness in Carbon Nanotube Reinforced Amorphous Silicon Nitride Nanocomposite Coatings." Acta Materialia 2012, 60, 3333-3339.
- Shihao Hu, Zhenhai Xia, and Xiaosheng Gao. "Strong Adhesion and Friction Coupling in Hierarchical Carbon Nanotube Arrays for Dry Adhesive Applications." ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2012, 4, 1972-1980.
- Shihao Hu, Haodan Jiang, Zhenhai Xia, and Xiaosheng Gao. "Friction and Adhesion of Hierarchical Carbon Nanotube Structures for Biomimetic Dry Adhesives: Multiscale Modeling." ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2010, 2, 2570-2578.
- Shihao Hu, Jinsheng Liang and et al. "Effect of Surface Free Energy on Easy-to-Clean Property of Ceramic Glaze." Journal of the Chinese Ceramic Society 2008, 36, 1282-1287.
REFEREED PROCEEDING PUBLICATIONS
- Miray Ouzounian, Travis Shihao Hu. "Nano-Scale Wettability of Free-Standing Capped Carbon Nanotube Arrays" ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (IMECE), Virtual, Online, 2020, IMECE2020-23695, V003T03A031. https://doi.org/10.1115/IMECE2020-23695.
- Shihao Hu, Zhenhai Xia. "Friction Enhanced Adhesion in Biomimetic Nanostructures" Advances in Heterogeneous Material Mechanics: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Heterogeneous Material Mechanics, Shanghai, China, 2011, 1146-1149.
- Lijuan Wang, Shihao Hu. "Study on the physical and chemical properties of easy-to-clean ceramics" North China Ceramic Society Ninth Symposium, Beijing, China, 2008.
- Lijuan Wang, Jinsheng Liang, Jiyuan Li, Shihao Hu. "Surface Free Energy of Ceramic Glaze and the Influential Factors" Proceedings of the Second Ecological Building Materials and Materials Selection for Green Building, Beijing, China, 2007, 200-205.
GRANTS AND FUNDING SUPPORTS
- NSF DMR BMAT Program
- DoD DURIP Award (ARO)
- La Kretz Environment Endowment
- NSF-CREST Center (https://ceas.calstatela.edu/index.cfm)
- NSF-PREM Center (/prem)