Dr. Melanie Sabado-Liwag is an Associate Professor and Director of the Master of Public Health (MPH) program at California State University-Los Angeles. She received a Ph.D. in Health Promotion Sciences at the School of Community & Global Health at Claremont Graduate University, MPH at California State University-Fullerton, and postdoctoral fellowship at the National Institute of Minority Health and Health Disparities at NIH in Bethesda, Maryland. Her research in minority health and health disparities aims to understand psychosocial, environmental, and cultural determinants related to adverse health and social outcomes across the life course. Dr. Sabado-Liwag is a mixed-methods scholar who uses advanced epidemiologic analyses to identify how these associations are related to risky behaviors, chronic disease, and mental health. Other efforts include working alongside communities of color and marginalized groups to develop evidence-based, culturally-tailored projects through community-based participatory research methods (CBPR) and mobile health (mhealth) strategies. She is currently the Principal investigator for The FILLED project, to better address health disparities and the overall impact of the COVID-19 pandemic among Filipinx/o/as, as well as NIMHD/NIH RadxUP phase 2 grant, SEA US, HEAR US study (Southeast Asians in the US, Health Equity and Research to Understand COVID-19 Stories).
2015-2017 IRTA Postdoctoral Fellow
National Institute of Minority Health and Health Disparities (NIMHD), NIH
Areas of specialization: Epidemiology, Health Communication
2016 Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Health Promotion Science
Claremont Graduate University, School of Community and Global
Areas of specialization: Global Health, Community based participatory research (CBPR), Substance use, Mental health, Health intervention
2009 Master of Public Health (MPH)
California State University, Fullerton
Areas of specialization: Health education, promotion, and evaluation
2006 Bachelor of Science (BS) in Biology & Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Psychology
University of Washington, Seattle
- Undergraduate: PH 3110, PH 3130, PH 4320, PH 4370, PH 4990
- Graduate: PH 5120, PH 5210
Complete List of Published Work in MyBibliography: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/1hUkjgjAs6iwl5/bibliography/public/
Selected Publications below: Mentored Student
- Sabado-Liwag, M.D., Zamora, M., Esmundo, E., Sumibcay, J.R., & Kwan, P.P. (2022). Preliminary observations from the FILLED Project (FILipino Lived Experiences During COVID-19). International Journal for Evironmental Research and Public Health, 19(19), p.12303.
- Manalo-Pedro, E., Mackey, A., Banawa, R. A., Apostol, N. J. L., Aguiling, W., Aguilar, A., Oronce C., Sabado-Liwag, M., ... & Ponce, N. A. (2022). Learning to love ourselves again: Organizing Filipinx/a/o scholar-activists as antiracist public health praxis. Frontiers in Public Health, 10.
- Escobedo, L.A., Morey, B.N., Sabado-Liwag, M.,D., & Ponce, N. (2022). Lost on the frontline, and lost in the data: COVID-19 deaths among Filipinx healthcare workers in the United States. Frontiers in Public Health. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2022.958530
- Zamora, M. & Sabado-Liwag, M. (2022). Mental Health and PCOS Information Sharing: Interviews with Health Care Providers in a Low-Income Urban Community. Journal in Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40615-022-01295-6
- Sabado-Liwag, M., Zamora, M., & El-Toukhy, S. (2022). Current state of Smoking, unhealthy living and characteristics in White, Black/African American and Latinx populations. Progress and Cardiovascular Disease, 71, 27-36.
- Sabado-Liwag, M. D., Manalo-Pedro, E., Taggueg Jr, R., Bacong, A. M., Adia, A., Demanarig, D., Valderama-Wallace, C., Oronce, C.I.A., Bonus, R. & Ponce, N. A. (2022). Addressing The Interlocking Impact of Colonialism and Racism On Filipinx/a/o American Health Inequities. Health Affairs, 41(2), 289-295.
- Kwan, P., Esmundo, S., Rivas, E., Co, D., & Sabado-Liwag, M. (2022). Experiences and Impacts of COVID-19 among Pacific Islanders in Los Angeles County. Therapeutic Advances in Infectious Disease, 9, 20499361221093102.
- Claudel, S. E., Ceasar, J. N., Andrews, M. R., El-Toukhy, S., Farmer, N., Middleton, K. R., Sabado-Liwag, M... & Wallen, G. R. (2020). Time to listen: a mixed-method study examining community-based views of mobile technology for interventions to promote physical activity. BMJ health & care informatics, 27(3), e100140.
- Kamke, K., Sabado-Liwag, M., Rodriquez, E. J., Pérez-Stable, E. J., & El-Toukhy, S. (2020). Adolescent Smoking Susceptibility: Gender-Stratified Racial and Ethnic Differences, 1999–2018. American Journal of Preventive Medicine.
- Kwan, P. P., Soniega-Sherwood, J., Esmundo, S., Watts, J., Pike, J., Sabado-Liwag, M., & Palmer, P. H. (2019). Access and utilization of mental health services among Pacific Islanders. Asian American Journal of Psychology.
- Rodriquez, E. J., Sabado-Liwag, M., Pérez-Stable, E. J., Lee, A., Haan, M. N., Gregorich, S. E., ... & Nápoles, A. M. (2019). Allostatic Load, Unhealthy Behaviors, and Depressive Symptoms by Birthplace Among Older Adults in the Sacramento Area Latino Study on Aging (SALSA). Journal of Aging and Health, 0898264319857995.
- Sabado, M., Choi, K., Haynie, D., Gilman, S., & Simons-Morton, B. (2017) High school cigarette smoking and post-secondary education enrollment: longitudinal findings from the NEXT Generation Health Study. Preventive Medicine, 105, 250-256.
- Kwan, P., Sabado, M., Lee, … & Palmer, P. (2017). Development of an Online Smoking Cessation Curriculum for Pacific Islanders: A Community Based Participatory Research Approach. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action, 11, 263.
- Moya, A. & Sabado-Liwag. M. (2022). Filipinx/a/o Americans and COVID-19. In The SAGE Encyclopedia of Filipino Americans. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications Inc.
- Ramirez, A., Chalela, P., Sabado, M., & Choi, K. (2021). Chapter 5: Behavioral Determinants. In The Science of Health Disparities Research and Applications. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.
- Nguyen, T., Wallerstein, N., Das, R., Sabado, M., Jernigan, V.B.B., Jacob, T., Cannady, T., Martinz, L.S., Ndulue, U.J., Ortiz, A., Stubbs, A.W., Pichon, L.C., Tanjasiri, S.P., Pang, J.K., & Woo, K. (2021). Chapter 13: Conducting Community-Based Participatory Research with Minority Communities to Reduce Health Disparities. In The Science of Health Disparities Research and Applications. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.
- LAist - Quoted. SEA US, HEAR US project. 2023
- LA Times - Quoted. COVID-19 advice. 2022
- Huffington Post - Quoted. Filipino Invisibility. 2020
- Asian Journal - About. Faculty Fellow for Public Good. 2019
- Health Affairs: Health Podyssey. Interview on Research. 2022
- Cal State LA University Library. Interview on Research. 2021
- CSU All Things STEM. Interview on Research. 2021
- Blood Debts. Interview on Filipino culture. 2020