Charter College of Education
Department of Curriculum & Instruction
Office Location: KH 2027
Email: [email protected]
Research and Teaching Interests
- Literacy in and out of school
- Emerging bi-literacy
- Educational politics and policy
- History of education
Book: Writing in the Asylum: Student Poets in City Schools. (2004) New York: Teachers College Press.
Refereed Journal Articles
- McCormick, J. (2019). “Mendez v. Westminster: Domestic and international forces underlying the fight for school desegregation.” Journal of American Ethnic History, 39 (1) 5-34.
- McCormick, J. Hafner, A. & Saint-Germain, M. (2013). “From High School to College: Teachers and Students Assess the Impact of an Expository Course on College Readiness,” Journal of Educational Research and Practice, 3(1) 30-49.
- McCormick, J. and Ozuna, S. ( 2012). “Community Partnerships: Working Across Institutions to Support Parent Advocacy and Education.” 2012 Yearbook of Urban Learning Teaching and Research, 26-33.
- McCormick, Jennifer. (2011). “Transmediation in the Language Arts Classroom: Creating Contexts for Analysis and Ambiguity.” Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 54(8) 579-587.
- McCormick, Jennifer. (2010). Reading Langston Hughes. California English,15 (5) 20-24.
- Hafner, A., Joseph, R., & McCormick, J. (2010). “College readiness for all: Assessing the impact of English professional development on teaching practice and student learning.” Journal of Urban Learning, Teaching and Research, 2 (3) 23-45.
- McCormick, Jennifer and César J. Ayala. (2007). "Felícita “La Prieta” Méndez (1916–1998) and the end of Latino school segregation in California." Centro: Journal of the Center for Puerto Rican Studies, 19(2) (Fall): 12-35.
- McCormick, Jennifer. (2003). "Drag me to the asylum: Disguising and asserting identities in an urban school." The Urban Review, 35(2).
- McCormick, Jennifer. (2002). “The Table in the Dessert: Calling up images through surrealist poetry.” Journal of Curriculum Theorizing, 18 (1).
- Snow, M.A. McCormick, J. & Osipova, A. (2017) Academic language across educational levels in content-based instruction. In M.A. Snow & D.M. Briton, eds., The content-based classroom: New perspectives on integrating language and content. Ann Arbor MI: University of Michigan Press.
- Zetlin, A., Snow, M.A. & McCormick J. (2014) Are we doing a good job of preparing special education teachers to work with English language learners? In Special education: Developments, teaching strategies and parental involvement. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers.
- McCormick, Jennifer. (2000) "Aesthetic Safety Zones: Surveillance and Sanctuary in Poetry by Young Women," in Michelle Fine and Lois Weis, eds., Construction Sites (Teachers College Press
- Fine, Michelle, Jennifer McCormick and Jennifer Pastor. (1996) "Makin’ Homes, an Urban Girl Thing," in Bonnie Leadbeater and Niobe Way, eds., Urban Girls: Resisting Stereotypes, Creating Identities (New York University Press). Reviewed in:
Adler, Patricia A. and Peter, Adler. (1997) “Review of Urban Girls: Resisting Stereotypes, Creating Identities.” American Journal of Sociology, 103(1).
- We are Alive When We Speak for Justice. (2015) 826LA’s Young Author’s Book Project.
- Reviewed in the Los Angeles Review of Books June, 2015:
- New York University, Ph.D. in English Education; focus literacy.
- Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, N.Y., M.A. in Deaf Education; multiple and single subject credentials.
- Hamilton College, Clinton, NY, BA: History.