I grew up in Berkeley, California and attended the University of California, Los Angeles for my undergraduate studies. After graduating in 2017, I pursued a Ph.D. in Mathematics at the University of California, San Diego. At UC San Diego, I was very fortunate to be advised by Jacques Verstraete and wrote my dissertation on "The combinatorics of intersecting set systems", which I successfully defended in 2022. I am now very honored to be an Assistant Professor here in the Mathematics Department at Cal State LA! My Erdös number is 2.
Outside of Math, I like to watch basketball, go for runs, and juggle. My current best is four balls, but I am working towards being able to juggle five balls.
In the Spring 2023 semester, I will be teaching Calculus 1 (Math 2110). The corresponding course material will be posted on Canvas. Please feel free to email me if you are interested in Combinatorics research and/or would like to explore a directed reading course.
In the Fall 2022 semester, I taught Calculus 3 (Math 2130) and Theory of Probability (Math 4740). I maintain course lecture notes for these courses and these complete set of course notes can be made avaliable via email request.
AMC Faculty Coordinator:
Together with Tuyetdong Phan-Yamada, I help organize the American Mathematics Competitions (AMC) at Cal State LA. We offer the AMC 8, AMC 10 and AMC 12, where the numerical value corresponds to the latest grade a student can be in while taking the corresponding exam. If you know someone interested in taking the exam, please feel free to email me ([email protected]) or Tuyetdong Phan-Yamada ([email protected]).
More information on the exam and other mathematics extracurricular activies may be found at the Cal State LA Math Circle website -- https://www.calstatela.edu/orgs/mathcircle.
My research interests lie in extremal combinatroics. Broadly speaking, extremal combinatorics entails maximizing the size of a collection of objects given constraints on the collection of objects.
Papers and preprints:
- A note on intersection saturation (with Jacques Verstraete) - In preparation
- Towards supersaturation for oddtown and eventown - Submitted, https://arxiv.org/pdf/2109.09925.pdf
- Saturation problems in convex geometric hypergraphs (with Sam Spiro) - Submitted, https://arxiv.org/pdf/2109.09931.pdf
- Odd covers of graphs (with C. Buchanan, A. Clifton, E. Culver, J. Nie, P. Rombach, M. Yin) - To Appear in Journal of Graph Theory, https://arxiv.org/pdf/2202.09822.pdf
- A note on k-wise oddtown problems (with Jacques Verstraete) - Graphs and Combinatorics, 38 (101), 2022, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00373-022-02504-z
- Extremal problems for pairs of triangles (with Zoltán Füredi, Dhruv Mubayi, Jacques Verstraete) - Journal of Combinatorial Theory Series B, 155, 2022, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0095895622000132
- A generalization of Bollobás set pair inequality (with Jacques Verstraete) - The Electronic Journal of Combinatorics, 28(3), 2021, https://www.combinatorics.org/ojs/index.php/eljc/article/view/v28i3p8/pdf
- Nontrivial d-wise intersecting families (with Jacques Verstraete) - Journal of Combinatorial Theory Series A, 178, 2021, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0097316520301618
- On the poset and asymptotics of Tesler matrices - The Electronic Journal of Combinatorics, 25(2), 2018, http://www.combinatorics.org/ojs/index.php/eljc/article/view/v25i2p4/pdf