Making the Accommodation Request for Alternative Testing
You must be registered with OSD to receive prescribed accommodations. Instructors are not required to provide any student with alternative testing accommodations if they are not registered with OSD. Each semester as a registered OSD student, if you plan to use accommodations for your classes you must initiate an accommodation request using the OSD Online Services system. When the Notification of Academic Support Services is sent to instructors there is a link contained in that email that instructors need to click it so that they can complete the contract. Clicking the link will direct instructors straight to the online testing contract. This is very important because before OSD can process your exam request, the alternative testing contract must be completed and submitted by your instructor. The alternative testing contracts serves as the guideline for faculty instruction regarding the implementation of the exam (i.e. materials allowed, if any, how much time will be provided for each type of exam for the entire semester and any other items pertinent to the exam. OSD is repsonbible for providing accommodations, thus we are not authorized to provide specific exam guidelines i.e. additional materials, open book, calculator, etc. (except if it is an approved accommodation which is determined on an individual basis and by the nature of the request).
Scheduling Your Exams
Before you schedule your exam (after you have already initiated alternative testing during the accommodation process), you first need to confirm that your instructor has completed the alternative testing contract.
- Remember: you cannot schedule an exam unless your instructor has completed the alternative testing contract.
- The deadline for exam requests is 5 business days for all exams except finals!
- The Fall 2018 exam scheduling deadline for finals is Friday, November 17th at 4:30pm (all remaining exams should be scheduled by this deadline as the system will no longer be available to schedule exams).
To check and confirm if your instructor has completed the alternative testing contract:
- login to the online system
- Look at the classes that are listed at the top of the page
- If you see the following sentence:
- “Alternative Testing: Your instructor has not completed the alternative testing contract for this class. Please let your instructor know that the link to initiate an alternative testing contract is inside the faculty notification letter sent to your office (email)”.
- This sentence indicates that your instructor has ‘not’ completed the testing contract and you will not be able to schedule your exam.
- Under each class, for alternative testing, you should see:
- “You have not scheduled any exams for this class”
- This sentence indicates that your instructor has completed the testing contract and you are now able to schedule your exam.
Please make sure that you are scheduling exams according to our new semester exam scheduling times:
- If your class begins anytime between 8am and 11am, you must schedule any exams, tests, quizzes to begin at 9am.
- If your class begins anytime between 12:00pm and 1:40pm, you must schedule any exams, tests, quizzes to begin at 12pm.
- If your class begins anytime between 3:00pm and 4:30pm, you must schedule any exams, tests, quizzes to begin at 3pm.
- If your class begins anytime between 5:00pm, you must schedule any exams, tests, quizzes to begin at 6pm.
- Once you have inserted all of the exam information, you will read and check off the terms and conditions for the exam you just scheduled.
- Note: We hold each student to these terms and conditions. Please make sure that you are scheduling your exam according to your class syllabus. You need instructor permission in addition to meeting the OSD scheduling deadline and criteria to test outside of the regular class day.
In the event that you are trying to schedule an exam and cannot, it is most likely because there is no alternative testing contract. If you cannot schedule your exam and the first alternative sentence noted above is present, you should notify your OSD Counselor immediately or our office immediately so that we can intervene to assist with this process to get the contract completed so that you can schedule your exams prior to the exam scheduling deadline. You cannot schedule any exams if your instructor has not completed the alternative testing contract!
Once you have completed scheduling your exams you will be re-directed to the “upcoming exam requests” page. This page will keep a running log of all the exams that you have scheduled for the current term and will also indicate the status of each exam (i.e. approved, pending, cancelled, etc.). You will receive an email reminder at least 24-48 hours before your upcoming exam. Due to logistics that the OSD office must complete in order to fully process your request, it may take up to 48 hours prior to the exam day before you are able to see your room location (it will be included in the email reminder).
Late Exam Requests
The online system will automatically flag your exam if your request is made outside of the exam request scheduling timeframe. The deadline for exam requests is 5 business days for all exams except finals. If you believe that the late request is due to an issue beyond your control, or you simply submitted your request late, please continue with scheduling the late exam. Some students receive the “late exam” notice when scheduling and do not continue the process. You must continue with the scheduling of the exam even if it is flagged as late. It is easier for our office, you and your instructor when you continue the exam request. Our office has a system in place to proceed with exams that are scheduled late, which includes contacting you directly to see if we can still approve your request. Late exam requests are addressed on an individual case basis.
Additional Exam Information
Again, you must be registered with OSD to receive prescribed accommodations. Instructors are not required to provide any student with alternative testing accommodations if they are not registered with OSD. The deadline for scheduling ALL exams, except finals, is ONE week in advance. Your instructor must complete the testing contract in order for you to schedule your exams. Once they complete the testing contract, please schedule all of your exams as soon as possible to help eliminate any scheduling issues.
When you schedule your exams, please do not schedule your final exams as midterms. Testing space throughout campus can be very limited at times and OSD does not have a designated testing center on campus. Therefore, in order for us to fully accommodate you for alternative testing (i.e. find you a space and provide you with a proctor) we have to have rooms available to us on campus so we urge you to schedule ALL of your exams, especially your finals prior to the deadline.
If you don’t schedule your exams according to what is on your syllabus, or based on the OSD scheduling time blocks, specifically for finals, please note the following:
- We will be process all exam requests based on how you scheduled them.
- If your exam is at 9am and you scheduled for 1pm and your instructor did not approve that time change prior to you scheduling it, you may risk having to take your exam with your class.
- If you scheduled your exam for Monday and the rest of the class is testing Wednesday and your instructor did not approve that day change prior to you scheduling it, you may risk having to take your exam with your class.
- For any scheduling changes, OSD will need an email confirmation from your instructor that your change is okay (i.e. we need written approval from them).
Please help us help you to ensure that the exam accommodation, scheduling and testing process is beneficial to you by keeping in mind the following suggestions/information:
- You must initiate the entire process by selecting accommodations for your classes.
- It is your responsibility to make sure to notify your instructor regarding the alternative testing contract. If they fail to complete the contract in a timely manner, you must notify your OSD Counselor or OSD staff immediately.
- OSD will not be held liable for unreasonable notification of incomplete testing contracts.
- OSD sends out multiple emails throughout the term notifying and reminding students to schedule exams. Thus, providing you reasonable notification that such a process exists.
- Remember, all accommodation requests and processes should be done in a timely manner.
If you have any additional questions regarding alternative testing, please contact our office.