Cal State LA will host the 5th Chinese/American Association for Poetry and Poetics (CAAP) Conference, the first CAAP conference to be held outside of China. The conference will be held on November 11-13, 2016 at Cal State LA's new Downtown Campus, located just minutes from the conference hotel and renowned LA attractions such as the Walt Disney Concert Hall, the Broad Museum, and the Museum of Contemporary Art.
The 5th CAAP Conference is co-sponsored by the Cal State LA College of Professional and Global Education, the College of Arts and Letters, the Department of English, the American Communities Program, and the Center for the Study of Genders and Sexualities. External co-sponsors include Central China Normal University, Foreign Literature Studies, International Journal of Poetry and Poetics, Forum for World Literature Studies, and the University of Pennsylvania.
The conference program committee has suggested the following possible topics for individuals and groups:
- Ezra Pound, American New Poetry, and Chinese New Poetry
- Chinese Poetry after the Misty Poets: Encounters with American Poetry
- Confucianism, Buddhism, and Daoism in American Poetry
- The Reception of Chinese Poetry in America
- Contemporary American Theories of Poetics: Their Reception and Influence in China
- Sound, Visual, and Performance: New Perspectives on the Texts of Poetry
- Ethical Expression in Chinese and American Poetry
- Ethnicity and Poetry
- Influence of China and Other Asian Countries on Los Angeles Poetry
- Poetry and Translation
Proposals for Group Sections
- Poets on Poetry: Seminar
- Translators on Poetry Translation: Seminar
- Poetry and Internet-based Media: Roundtable
Proposals on other topics are also welcome.
November 11-13, 2016
For Conference: Early bird fee $160 USD until Sept 12, 2016; afterwards $190 USD. Conference fees must be paid in US dollars and includes daily morning and afternoon refreshment breaks, and the conference banquet. Register online at https://web.calstatela.edu/univ/fund/uas/ccform.php.
For Hotel: Early reservations are highly recommended. A special rate for the 2016 CAAP Convention is available (Sheraton special rate for CAAP)
May 20, 2016: Conference proposals due
May 31, 2016: Proposal acceptances emailed
Sept 12, 2016: Last day to register for conference at reduced rate
Nov 11, 2016: Registration at hotel and pre-conference sessions
Nov 12-13, 2016: Conference
Nov 14, 2016: Events and tours may be offered
(At the table) Lianggong Luo, Jean-Michel Rabaté, Maryemma Graham, Hank Lazer, and Lauri Ramey at the 4th CAAP Conference in Jinan, China.
Banner Image: By Sebastianstepper [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons.