Insurance requirements And Vendor Data Form


Outlines minimum requirements for general liability, business automobile liability, Worker’s Compensation, and professional liability insurance.

Vendor/Contractor shall maintain, or cause to be maintained, for not less than the duration of the contract between Vendor/Contractor and University, at least the following types and amounts of insurance for claims which may arise from or in connection with services or products provided.

  • General Liability: comprehensive or commercial form minimum limits each Occurrence $1,000,000, General Aggregate $2,000,000
  • Business Automobile Liability: minimum limits or Owned, Scheduled, Non-Owned, or Hire Automobiles with a combine single limit of not less than $1,000,000 per occurrence.
  • Worker’s Compensation: evidence of coverage as required under California Law
  • Professional Liability: evidence of coverage when applicable.

Once our office has received and verified that the requirements have been met per the certificate of insurance a purchase order shall be issued. The vendor/contractor agrees that no work or services shall be performed prior to the issuance of the purchase order.

Insurance shall be placed with insurers with a current A.M. Best’s rating of no less than A:VII.

Certificate Holder:
California State University, Los Angeles
Att: Insurance & Risk Management
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032


Effective January 1, 1993, California tax regulations require the California State University system to withhold Federal and/or State income taxes from payments to certain vendors. Payments made to nonresident vendors, including corporations, individuals, partnerships, estates and trusts, are subject to withholding. Nonresident vendors performing services in California or receiving rent, lease or royalty payments form property (real or personal) located in California will have 7% or their total payments withheld for State income tax. However, no withholding is required if total payments to the vendor for the calendar year are $1,500 or less.

Who needs to submit a 204?
In order to gather such information as residency status, taxpayer ID number, Payee type, etc. the CSU now requires all vendors complete a Vendor Data Record Form, STD 204 on a one-time basis before any payment can be made. If Form, STD 204 is not completed and returned by the individual or company being paid, payment will either be delayed or Federal and/or State withholding will be calculated (Federal withholding rate 30%, and for State income tax withholding rate 7%).

Who is exempt from filing a Form 204?
Payments made to other State or Federal agencies. Also, refund or reimbursement payments made to individuals are exempt from filing a Vendor Data Record Form.

How can you Help!
If a School or Department is involved in dealing directly with a vendor (guest lecturers, emergency P.O.'s, e.g.) or is requesting a pre-payment for publication, subscription or membership, then the department must have the Vendor Data Record Form, Std 204, completed and signed and attached to the requisition, direct pay approval form and/or invoice when submitted, Because checks cannot be released or issued without the completed documentation described above, please plan in advance to avoid payment delays.

Vendor Data Record (204 Form) 

Reportable Vendors State & Federal Withholding/Non-Resident Aliens

The Vendor Data Record form is required in order to process payment by determining the tax status for reportable income and State and Federal withholding.

Reportable Income

A 1099 Misc. is issued for Services or Rent if the total amount of payments made for the calendar year is $600 or more, including Corporations for legal services.

Medical and Health Care Payments of $600 or more made in the course of your trade or business to each physician or other supplier or provider of medical or health care services, including Corporations.

Royalty payments of $10 or more will also receive a 1099 Misc.

State Withholding

Non Residents providing a service in California, including agents, entertainers and Corporations or partnerships are subject to 7% State withholding if the total amount of payments for the calendar year are $1,500 or more.

A non-resident payee may submit a Withholding Exemption Certificate Form 590.

Also, for a reduced rate form 589 Nonresident Reduced Withholding Request has to be submitted in advance of payment to the Franchise Tax Board.

Contact: Franchise Tax Board
Telephone: 888-792-4900
Not Toll Free: 916-845-4900
Web site:

Federal Withholding

Applies to Non Resident Aliens - Refer to guidelines for U. S. Tax Information.