Dr. Shilpa Balan is an Associate Professor in the Department of Information Systems in the College of Business and Economics at California State University-LA. Dr. Balan earned her PhD degree in Management Information Systems from University of Mississippi, focusing on Data Mining and Data Analytics. Professor Balan is very passionate about Business Analytics, and teaches Business Intelligence and Information Systems courses. Dr. Balan’s broad research interests are in Business Analytics, Data Mining, Healthcare Informatics, and the integration of Information Technology to pedagogic practices.
Dr. Balan has received several awards for her research work and mentorship of students. In May 2019, Dr. Balan received the Outstanding Undergraduate Student Research and Mentorship Award by the College of Business and Economics. In April 2018, Dr. Balan was nominated by her wonderful students and was awarded the Faculty Mentorship Award for Research Activities and Scholarship by the office of Graduate Studies, California State University-Los Angeles. In August 2016, Dr. Balan has been awarded the 'Most Promising Research' Award by the College of Business at California State University-LA. Dr. Balan is a recipient of Education Grants from Tableau, Qlik and IBM-Watson Analytics. She is also a recipient of the Microsoft Azure Educator Grant Award. She is a receipient of the Research Grant Award from California State University-LA for Big Data Analytics research in Healthcare for the academic years 2015-2016, 2016-2017 and 2018-2019. She was also awarded the Faculty Scholar Award at the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing event in October 2016 at Houston, TX.
Dr. Balan serves on the Editorial Review Board for International Journal of Healthcare Information Systems and Informatics (IJHISI-IGI Global) and International Journal of Public Health Management and Ethics (IJPHME-IGI Global).
Fall 2020 Schedule (Teaching)
Research Page: https://shilpabalanresearch.wordpress.com/
Courses Taught (Semester System)
CIS 2830- Intro to Application Programming
CIS 3050- Database Design and Development
CIS 3060- Systems Analysis and Design
CIS 3610- Web Design and Development
CIS 3980- Undergraduate Directed Study in Big Data/ Web and Mobile App Development
CIS 4150- Foundations of Business Intelligence
CIS 4200- Business Intelligence and Data warehouse
CIS 4210- Healthcare Data Analytics
CIS 4250- Business Intelligence Applications
CIS 4810- Healthcare Application Systems
CIS 4870- Decision Support Systems
CIS 5210- Healthcare Data Analytics
CIS 5250- Visual Analytics
CIS 5270- Business Intelligence
CIS 5810- Healthcare Information Systems
CIS 5980- Graduate Study in Big Data/ Business Intelligence/ Healthcare Informatics/ NoSQL
BUS 5980- Graduate Study: Big Data/ Business Analytics
BUS 5970- Graduate Research (in Business Intelligence)
BUS 5100- Intro to Business Analytics (Downtown LA Campus. Proposed and Taught Course)
Courses Taught (Quarter System)
CIS 301- Management Information Systems
CIS 405- Database Design and Development
CIS 406- Systems Analysis and Design
CIS 454- Special Topics: Business Intelligence & Data Visualization
CIS 487- Decision Support Systems
CIS 598- Graduate Study in Big Data/ Business Intelligence/ Healthcare Informatics
BUS 597- Graduate Research (in Business Intelligence)
Department (CIS) Service
- Undergraduate Studies Committee, 2020-Present, 2019-2020, 2018-2019, 2017-2018, 2016-2017
- Graduate Studies Committee, 2019-2020, 2018-2019, 2016-2017, 2015-2016.
- Graduate Studies Committee, Alternate, 2017-2018.
- Undergraduate Studies Committee, Alternate, 2015-2016.
College (College of Business and Economics) Service
- Co-Issue Editor, Business Forum Journal, 2019-Present
- CBE Assessment Committee, 2019-Present
- CBE Graduate Council, 2019-Present
- CBE Research Round Tables Seminar, Fall 2018-Spring 2020
- BITS (Coding) Student Club Faculty Advisor, 2016-Spring 2020
- CBE Student Affairs Committee, 2018-2020
- CBE Undergraduate Studies Committee, Alternate, 2018-2020
- CBE Graduate Studies Committee, Alternate, 2017-2018
- CBE Taskforce for M.S. Business Analytics Program, Spring 2017
- CBE Taskforce for Research Seminar, 2017-2018.
- Session Chair, CBE Research Seminar, Spring 2017
- EPC (Educational Policy Committee), 2019-present
- Vice-Chair, Graduate Studies Subcommittee, 2020-2021
- Graduate Studies Subcommittee (EPC Liaison), 2020-2021, 2019-2020
- Library Subcommittee, Alternate, 2018-2021
- Academic Senate, CBE Representative. 2018-2020
- External Awards Nominating Committee, 2019-2020
- Honors College Steering and Curriculum Committee, 2019-2020
- University Taskforce for increasing Response Rate of Student Opinion Online Surveys on Instruction, University level, (2017-2018)
- Web Management Committee, Spring 2018
- General Education Subcommittee, Fall 2017
Faculty Advisor for Data Science for Good Research Group (Previously functioned as BITS- "Business Informatics and Technology Society" and earlier as Coding Club).