The Children's Center is an excellent training facility for future teachers. Approximately 115 students annually complete their training as practicum and teacher interns at the Children's Center. The Center also serves as an observation and research site for up to 150 additional students from a variety of departments and hosts many additional visitors from the campus and community.
Courses offered at the Center include:
- CHDV 4950 Directed Field Experience - Two and Four unit teaching internships focusing on classroom practices and program administration.
- CHDV 2200 Child Development Practicum – Supervised Field Experience.
- CHDV 2000 and 2100 Classroom Observation - Observation opportunities are available for Cal State L.A. students from all disciplines. A letter of request from the course instructor is required. Observation students do not have direct contact with children or teachers and must observe from a booth or designated area.
- Research opportunities are available for faculty and students. Research projects must be approved by the center director and all clearances acquired before the start of project.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL FIELD WORK: ***COPIES of proof of immunizations and T.B. clearance must be submitted before you can schedule your CHDV 2000 or CHDV 2100 observation hours (no exceptions)***
THE CENTER CANNOT MAKE COPIES; Students are responsible for providing copies of the items below:
1. Proof of MMR Immunization, 2. TDAP Immunization, 3. Negative T.B. Test (Less than one year), 4. *Current Flu Shot (Administered after September of current academic year)
*Flu Shot only can be waived by completing the Declination of Immunization Form. Link: Declination of Immunization Form
Document Checklist (This form can help you keep track of needed documents for field work)
Live Scan Form;Use this form if your class requires you to complete hours at the Anna Bing Arnold Children's Center (non-employment)
Medical Authorization Form (All Fieldwork students)
GUIDELINES FOR OBSERVATION (CHDV 2000 and CHDV 2100)
PRACTICUM GUIDE (CHDV 2200 and CHDV 4950)
The Children’s Center program provides many employment opportunities for Cal State L.A. students. The Center employs an average of 40 students each quarter as classroom teacher assistants and kitchen assistants. Many students work at the Center throughout their college years and describe their work as an important addition to their education and campus life. The professional staff takes great pride in working with college students and mentoring their growth as early childhood educators. In addition to direct supervision, lead teachers offer on-going staff development through individual and group meetings, and provide opportunities for students to grow as teachers through self-study and assessment.
Requirements for employment:
- Teaching Assistants: This position is responsible for assisting the teacher in supervising the children and developing and planning curriculum. A Child Development or related major is preferred; Students must demonstrate a desire to work with young children and an understanding of early childhood principles.
- Kitchen Assistants: This position is responsible for assisting the cook in preparing breakfasts, lunches, and snacks for the Children’s Center. Nutrition or a related major preferred
- Students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week
- Applications may be filled out at the Career Center or click on the link below:
How to apply and Student Application
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT TRAININGS & CLASSROOM COMPETENCIES
LINK: California Early Childhood Online (CECO): Provides online trainings that count towards professional growth hours; receive certificates of completion for each competency related to ECE and classroom practice (FREE; Must register to use website)
Preschool Learning Foundations Vol. 1 (Use as a reference for CECO trainings as needed)
Preschool Curriculum Framework Vol. 1 (Use as a reference for CECO trainings as needed)
2015 DRDP BASIC TRAINING MODULE
Being an Intentional Teacher (Article)
Obtain a Child Development Teaching Permit
PowerPoint: Child Development Permit Overview 2018
CTC Permit: General Information
Child Development Permit Matrix
CHDV Permit Application Checklist (Helps you keep track the documents required to apply)
CTC CHDV Coursework Worksheet (Helps you track course requirements for permits)
LIVESCAN APPLICATION (For Child Development Permits ONLY)
Child Development Consortium Grants (Can pay for permit fees and Live Scan)
PROFESSIONAL GROWTH MANUAL FOR PERMIT RENEWAL (For those who have a permit)