Note-taking services allow students to volunteer to take notes for a classmate who is registered with the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD). This is a collaborative process between the OSD student, our office, faculty and volunteer notetakers.
Notes provided through note-taking services are intended to assist the students in analyzing, synthesizing and organizing information and concepts presented in the classroom during lecture. In addition, notes provided are supplemental to each OSD students’ own notes to help place OSD students on a level playing field to their non-disabled peers.
STUDENTS RECEIVING NOTE-TAKING SERVICES
OSD students are encouraged to advocate for their note-taking services in a timely manner. Each semester, students eligible for a note-taking accommodation should:
- Request their note-taking accommodation using the OSD Online Services (AIM).
- Make sure that the class that is being selected for note-taking is lecture based (notetakers typically do not take lecture notes for online classes, labs, physical activity classes, etc.).
- Students must log into OSD Online Services and “confirm” their note-taking request immediately after attending the first class lecture to verify that they do in fact require a notetaker for the class.
- After the first week of classes, if you find that you no longer need note-taking services (i.e. your instructor has posted all necessary materials in Moodle or Canvas), please log into OSD Online Services to “cancel” the request.
Students receiving note-taking services must be present in class during the time a notetaker is providing the service. It is important for students to follow up with our office in a timely manner for anything regarding their note-taking requests. This may help to reduce delays in the note-taking process.
Notetakers share their lecture notes with classmates who are registered with OSD and have the note-taking accommodation. Notetakers are also expected to:
- Document relevant information pertaining to in-class lecture.
- Attend all class sessions regularly and arrive on time. A notetaker who is unable to attend a class should inform OSD as far in advance as possible.
- Notetakers are not responsible for providing notes for field trips, class assignments, group discussions/exercises, homework or online classes.
Notetakers are considered volunteers. As a benefit for their services, notetakers are offered a stipend at the end of the semester in which they provided services, and priority registration. Campus employees and University student assistants are not eligible for the stipend, but are eligible for priority registration.
For additional information on becoming a notetaker, please contact OSD or visit our CANVAS page by:
1. Login to Canvas through your MyCalStateLA portal.
2. Click on “Courses” towards the far left-hand side of the page, the click “All Courses” in the pop-up.
3. Next click on “Browse More Courses” to the far right-hand side of the page.
4. In the “Name” search bar type “OSD”, then click “Search”.
5. You will see “OSD Note-taking Services: Notetaker Information & Resources”, click “Join This Course”, then click “Enroll in Course”, and lastly click “Go to the Course.”
Notes will be uploaded to the OSD online system for easy retrieval. Once a notetaker uploads a file to the online system, the online system will notify all eligible OSD students that notes are available for download.
For additional questions regarding note-taking services, please contact OSD.
*Please note that our office strives to provide note-taking services of the utmost quality. Understand that we are utilizing your Cal State LA peers to meet the goals of this service as set forth by the ADA. These peers are volunteering their time, therefore, personal preferences of individual notes may not be feasible. However, we will exhaust all efforts to meet reasonable accommodation requests.