Enrollment Immunization and Screening Requirements

California State University (CSU) requires all students to be current on a number of immunizations and to complete a risk assessment for tuberculosis (CSU Executive Order 803).

This executive order and its requirements apply to undergraduate and graduate students, students matriculated in self-support degree programs and K-12 students participating in concurrent enrollment courses entering the California State University.

Important details on the requirements, including compliance information, are available through the CSU's Immunization Requirements & Recommendations.

Primary Requirements

Immunization Requirements

As a condition of enrollment, California State University requires students to provide proof of full immunization for:

  • Measles, mumps and Rubella (MMR) - Two doses
  • Hepatitis B (Hep B) - Three-doses
    • Students age 18 and younger
  • Varicella (Chickenpox) - Two doses
  • Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis (Tdap) - One dose

  • Meningococcal Disease (Serogroups A, C, Y, W-135) - One dose

Tuberculosis (TB) Screening/Risk Assessment

All incoming students are required to submit a completed Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment form to the Student Health Center. Students who are at higher risk* for TB infection, as indicated by answering "yes" to any of the screening questions, should undergo either skin or blood testing for TB infection within 1 year of CSU entry.

*Higher risk of TB infection includes travel to or living in South and Central America, Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East; prior positive TB test; or exposure to someone with active TB disease.

Strongly Encouraged Immunizations

Students are encouraged to discuss the following strongly recommended immunizations with their provider:

  • Hepatitis A (Hep A)
  • Hepatitis B (Hep B)
  • Human papillomavirus (HPV)
  • Influenza (Flu)
  • Meningococcal B (Meningitis B)

  • Meningococcal conjugate (Meningitis)
  • Pneumococcal
  • Poliovirus (Polio)
  • Immunizations for international travel

Additional Requirements

Certain students may have increased exposure risk (e.g., campus housing residents, international travel participants, student athletes) and have additional immunization and screening requirements. In addition, certain programs have additional requirements.

Health Care and Teacher Education Programs

All students enrolled in healthcare fields of study or teacher education programs are required to provide documentation regarding the completion of immunizations and health screenings as established by the state licensing agencies or clinical placement sites or fieldwork sites. Students should contact the academic program for the specific required immunizations, health screenings (e.g., TB screening and physical examination) and any other fieldwork or clinical placement requirements.

On-Campus Housing Residents

All on-campus housing residents (new and continuing) are required to:

  • Provide acceptable proof of meningoccocal vaccination (Serogroups A, C, Y, W-135) to the Student Health Center.

Document Submission

Acceptable Proof of Full Immunization

All students are required to submit acceptable proof of full immunization. Acceptable proof is defined as a written document that includes immunization names and dates (e.g., immunization record) or dates and results of blood testing indicating immunity (e.g., lab report) that is signed and dated by a licensed healthcare provider.

Document Submission Options

Students may submit acceptable proof of full immunization and TB screening and risk assessment forms via mail, FAX or personally deliver documents to the Student Health Center during operating hours.

  • Mailing address: Cal State LA Student Health Center, 5151 State University Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90032-8411, Attention: Health Records

  • Health Records Fax: 323.343.6557

  • Documents may be hand-delivered to the Student Health Center first floor reception desk.

Submitted documentation must include student name, CIN, date of birth, and semester for which the student will be first enrolled.

Frequently Asked Questions | Resources

What if I Need to Obtain a Required Immunization, Lab Test or TB Test/Lab?

Students may obtain required immunizations or lab testing through their personal healthcare providers or the Student Health Center.

Students who would like to fulfill the requirements through the Student Health Center must call 323.343.3300 to schedule an appointment. Note: Students new to the University may complete Cal State LA required immunizations, tuberculosis screening, or related lab tests prior to their first semester of enrollment under the following conditions:

  • Services are available only during the term immediately preceding the first semester of enrollment.
  • Proof of acceptance into the University and program enrollment verification must be shown prior to receiving services.
  • Students must pay applicable immunization and lab test fees.
  • Eligibility for all other Student Health Center services begins with the first semester of enrollment. Please click on Eligibility for important information about Student Health Center eligibility criteria.

How do I Contact the Student Health Center?

Questions regarding these requirements and recommendations may be directed to the Student Health Center:

  • Phone: 323.343.3300

  • Location: Main walkway between the Career Development Center and La Kretz Hall

What if I have a Medical Exemption?

Medical considerations may exempt certain students from this requirement. Students who seek a medical exemption must:

  1. Schedule an appointment with the Student Health Center by calling 323.343.3300.

  2. Provide the Student Health Center with a signed written statement by a licensed physician or surgeon that the physical condition of the student or medical circumstances relating to the student are such that immunization is not considered safe, indicating the specific nature and probable duration of the medical condition or circumstances that contraindicate immunization.