2018-2019 Winter Break Closure
During winter break Cal State LA Residential Communities (Phase I & II and GEA) will close and residents must vacate their apartments for the entire break. For those residents who will be moving out permanently at the end of the Fall 2018 semester, information will be sent to you directly outlining specific details for the end of contract check out procedures. For those who will be returning for the Spring 2019 semester, below you will find what you need to know for winter break closing policies and procedures. Winter check-out does not apply to those students who have contracted via the Winter Break Addendum, but we do request that you attend required closing meetings and comply with the end of the semester cleaning expectations.
Winter Break Closure begins 2:00 p.m. Saturday, December 15, 2018
Residential students must vacate apartments no later than 2:00 p.m. Saturday, December 15, 2018. Residents who remain in the apartments or fail to officially check out of their apartment will be subject to a $50 late check out fee and daily charges for each additional day of occupancy. The Residential Community re-opens and residents may begin to move back on Friday, January 18, 2019, at 10:00 a.m.
Housing Loop Closure
Due to a campus construction project the housing loop will have limited access. Students and vehicles will not have access to the loop for the duration of the project. More information on the construction project will be sent out in the coming weeks.
Due to the restricted access to the housing loop, the following trash enclosures will close on December 10.
- Phase I South trash enclosure near the stairs leading to King Hall
- Phase I West trash enclosure behind apartments 132-134
Please find the nearest trash enclosures North of Phase I, by the stairs leading to parking lot 5 and the other near the loop entrance behind building 1.
Check-out and Key Return Procedures
We ask that you consider a departure date that is within 24 hours after your last final exam. The residential community 24 hour quiet policy will be in full effect and there will not be any social programs during finals.
Students, departing for the winter break will be required to check-out and return bedroom and apartment keys (including parking gate clickers for GEA). If your key is not returned for winter break by 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 15, 2018, a lock change will be performed and charges up to $88 applied to your student account (Only those residents that do not return keys will be charged for the lock change). Keys will be returned upon your return to campus for Spring semester.
- Fall check out begins Monday, December 10, 2018, at 10:00 a.m. and ends Saturday, December 15, 2018, at 2:00 p.m.
- Students will report to the Community Center in Phase I to return keys and complete the appropriate check out paperwork.
- Please have all of the items you would like to take with you packed and removed from your apartment before turning in your keys and checking out. If your contract has ended, please have all of your items packed and removed.
- Residents of Phase I & II, your bedroom key and front door core key must be returned at the time of your check-out. Residents of Golden Eagles Apartments, your core key must be returned at the time of your check-out. GEA residents who have an assigned parking space must also return the parking gate remote at check-out.
- After you have returned your keys to the Community Center your access will be deactivated and apartment checked for compliance with closing procedures.
Winter Break Closing Info Sessions
|November 29||2 p.m.||Phase II Lounge|
|November 29||7 p.m.||Phase II Lounge|
|November 30||2 p.m.||Phase II Lounge|
|November 30||4 p.m.||Phase II Lounge|
|December 4||2 p.m.||Phase II Lounge|
|December 5||2 p.m.||Phase II Lounge|
|December 5||6 p.m.||Phase II Conference Room|
|December 5||4 p.m.||Phase II Lounge|
Stayover Requests (Late Departures)
Any resident that needs to request a late departure due to extenuating circumstances will need to submit an official Stayover Request online no later than Monday, December 10, 2018. Stayover requests will be reviewed by our staff and if approved or denied, additional information will be emailed to you.
All approved late departures are subject to the following:
- A per night rental fee charged to your student account for the additional night(s) of stay.
- Abiding by all terms and conditions of the most active license agreement as well as regulations outlined in the Student Guide.
- Due to limited coverage, no overnight guest(s) are allowed. Other Cal State LA unapproved residents are not considered guests even for daytime privileges.
24-hour quiet hours will begin at 12:00 a.m. on Sunday, December 9, 2018, and will extend until 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 15.
Meal plans will stop working after Saturday, December 15, 2018, at 2:00 p.m. The Dining Commons will be open for brunch on this day. Students with a remaining meal swipe may use their meal plan or purchase a meal using a credit/debit card.
Preparing Your Room for Break
You must leave your room and apartment clean and in good condition. Any spaces left in atrocious conditions will be cleaned by a contract cleaning service and residents responsible for space will be assessed the cost of cleaning.
Before You Leave, You Must Do The Following (Checklist)
- CLEAN your room and all shared spaces such as the kitchen, bathroom, living room, and storage room if applicable.
- Vacuum and sweep floors
- Discard perishable foods and clean your fridge and cabinets
- Clean stove top, oven, and microwave (including the plate inside)
- Remove all trash to proper dumpster locations
- Make sure all faucets are turned off
- REMOVE all personal items from the bathroom as housing staff and/or contractors will enter to conduct an inspection and address maintenance and repairs. Personal items remaining may cause for delays. Please see Notice of Entry below
- SHUT OFF and UNPLUG all electrical equipment (TV’s, alarm clocks, coffee machines etc…) and appliances - DO NOT UNPLUG THE FRIDGE.
- TURN OFF all lights
- TURN OFF A/C and Heating units
- CLOSE and LOCK all windows and doors as you depart. We also strongly recommend the closing of all blinds
- PICK UP your mail and packages. Residents will not be able to pick up mail after they have checked out for winter break. No mail will be forwarded over winter break. Please make all necessary arrangements with family, friends and mail order service. Only residents on the winter break housing roster will be given access to limited mail services.
- NEW ROOMMATES/HOUSEMATES: students with vacant bed spaces within their apartment must keep the vacant space cleared of your personal items. Do not take over space that is not assigned to you. Please attend to this prior to your departure since you will not have time to clean up the space before a new resident moves in on January 17, 2019.
- SUBMIT WORK ORDERS: If something in your room is broken or not properly working, now is the time to fill out a Work Order online: http://www.calstatela.edu/housing/work-orders
Notice of Entry to Room Over Break for Maintenance and Cleaning
Housing personnel including facilities staff may possibly enter your room for routine maintenance. Items in the kitchen can be stored in cabinets but counter and area under the sink must be cleared. Items in the bathroom shower/tub and sink must be cleared. If you do not remove your items, you will receive a charge for improper check-out and cleaning fees. Housing staff will bag your items and remove them from these areas.
The floor must be clear of all items for Housing staff to be able to come into the apartment spaces; no trash, clothing, or other items that may obstruct their path.
Annual Food Pantry Donation
We know this time of year is a great time to empty out your cabinets and donate those items that may no longer be of use to you and your roommates but may be of service to others in our community. Housing and Res Life will place bins in Phase II for non-perishable food collection. All residents are welcomed to drop off donations.
No Re-entry to Buildings Over Break
Once the building closes on Saturday, December 15, 2018, you are not to return to the building until it re-opens on Friday, January 18, 2019, at 9:00 a.m. You should take all medications, travel items and anything else needed during the break with you.
Parking and Pick-up
As you make travel arrangements for the break, please refer to the following information and share it with family members and friends who will be picking you up.
- Residents are responsible for checking the Parking & Transportation website for information regarding parking rules and regulations: http://www.calstatela.edu/parking/vistor-parking
- All regular university traffic and parking rules and regulations apply.
- No vehicles may be parked on sidewalks, fire lanes, or unauthorized parking areas.
- No unauthorized vehicles may park in ADA parking spaces.
- All parking lots and garages on campus require permits (student, staff or daily visitor) as indicated per lot or garage regulations.
Students with Fall 2018 parking permits for Lot 7a are welcome to leave their vehicle in Lot 7a as Friday morning Lot sweeping will be suspended beginning Friday, December 21st to resume on Friday, January 25th. You MUST have a valid permit, visible on your dash to avoid parking violations.
Re-Opening in January
The residential community will re-open on Friday, January 18, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. for returning residents.
- You must check-in upon returning to pick up your keys and so we may confirm your return to Housing for the Spring semester.
- All outstanding housing balances must be paid prior to your return to campus in the Spring. You will not be able to check back into your space if you have an outstanding balance on your housing account.
- Monitor your Cal State LA email as housing will be sending out notifications and reminders. If you have any questions, call Housing at (323) 343-4800 or email email@example.com .
- Start cleaning, storing and packing for your departure now. You have probably accumulated a lot more items than you realize, and finals week may not provide enough time for you to sort through and decide what you want to bring home before closing. Remember those returning for spring do not have to take all items home only take what you need and neatly arrange and store the rest.
- Check your mailbox before you leave and remove all items. Don’t forget to contact family and friends to notify them about mail services being closed in housing during the Winter Break. Make sure perishable care packages are not sent as they will spoil.
- Do not leave belongings unattended in courtyards, loading docks and parking lots as you pack vehicles to depart campus.
- After you leave Housing and Res Life staff members will re-check your rooms and units for safety, cleaning and maintenance concerns. You will be held accountable if you did not leave your room in proper condition (see checklist above) or are in violation of university policy.