Fall 2018 Applications Now Open!
Offered at Cal State LA Downtown, the Paralegal Studies (PLS) Certificate Program* has been American Bar Association (ABA) approved since 1978, making it one of the earliest approved programs in a university setting in California. The program curriculum is designed to equip students with a strong foundation of legal knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to a variety of practical tasks required of the profession. As legal professionals, paralegals are able to interview clients, perform legal research, and draft and analyze legal documents.
- Develop and practice oral and written communication skills
- Develop and practice skills to find answers and problem solve through experiential learning
- Develop and practice critical thinking skills through writing assignments
- Develop practical litigation, transactional and technology skills, and create a framework for continued learning in the workforce
- Develop a framework for the knowledge, skills and ethical obligations of the paralegal profession
Cal State LA's Paralegal Studies Certificate Program satisfies the requirements of Business and Professionals Code Section 6450. However, paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public except as permitted by law.
The PLS Program has two schedule options:
Most students finish the program within two or three semesters.
- All classes are held in the evening, Monday through Thursday (6:30 to 9:30 p.m.).**
Students will be able to finish the program within one semester.
- Classes are held in the morning and afternoon, Monday through Thursday.**
- First class is from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. The second class is from 1 to 4 p.m.**
**Class times are subject to change.
Participate in one of our upcoming Open House information sessions.
Who Should Enroll?
This program is ideal for:
- Individuals interested in becoming part of a legal services delivery team
- Individuals considering law school
- Paralegals looking to brush up on their paralegal skills
Tuition & Fees
Westlaw Password Fee: $60**
Note: Federal financial aid is currently not available for the Paralegal Studies Certificate Program.
Learn more about Financial Assistance opportunities for this program.
Students must have a baccalaureate degree, or an associate of arts or science degree from an accredited post-secondary institution for admission to the program. An associate of applied science degree or an occupational or vocational degree does not satisfy the education requirement. If you completed your undergraduate education at an institution where English was not the primary language of instruction, you must submit evidence of English language proficiency.
The program does not permit students to transfer specialty credits from other institutions; nor does the program award legal specialty credit by course challenge, examination or portfolio.
In order to earn your Certificate in Paralegal Studies you must complete each of the required six courses (18 units) with a grade of "C" or higher. PLS 7010 Paralegal Internship is optional and not a required course to complete the program. Students in the Full-Time Compressed Schedule cannot enroll in the internship course concurrently.
To Apply/Application Deadline
Please read Cal State LA's Non-Descrimination Policy here.
Please submit all Official Transcripts to:
Cal State LA – Paralegal Studies
5151 State University Drive, Golden Eagle Room 220B
Los Angeles, CA 90032-8619