Supplemental application window is October 15, 2019 - February 15, 2020. Cal State Apply window is February 1-28, 2020. Participate in an upcoming webinar to learn more.
The Master of Social Work, Advanced Standing (MSW-ASP) program in Downtown Los Angeles prepares graduate students for entry into advanced and specialized social work practice where they will be able to provide effective service to individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities.
The Advanced Standing Program facilitates completion of the MSW degree requirements for students with a bachelor’s degree in social work from an accredited school of social work and allows them to complete their degree in one-year. Cal State LA’s program starts with a Summer Term with one three unit course. Following the successful completion of the summer term, core content from the first year of the traditional MSW program will be waived and students will be Advanced to Candidacy to begin upper division graduate level coursework aligned with the traditional program curriculum.
Please read the MSW, Advanced Standing presentation. It includes FAQs, application process, curriculum information, and more.
Who Should Enroll?
- Students who have earned their undergraduate degree in the field of Social Work from an accredited school of social work within the past 5-years
- Individuals interested in advanced and specialized social work practice
Tuition & Fees
|Cost Per Unit||$525|
|Total Program Cost*||$17,325|
Please read about Graduate Application and Admission.
Read about International Graduate Application and Admission.
Applicants to the Master of Social Work, Advanced Standing program must complete the following steps in order to be considered for admission:
1) Complete and submit the following materials directly to Cal State LA's School of Social Work:
- A School of Social Work Supplemental Application
- A personal statement
- Three (3) reference forms from each of the following categories: Academic, Integrative Seminar Instructor and Field Instructor from your BASW internship. Note: Letters of recommendation may be submitted in addition to the reference forms. This is optional.
- A current resume
- An Unofficial copy of transcripts from all schools attended
- Official transcript(s) from all colleges and universities attended
2) Submit a graduate program application through Cal State Apply between February 1 and February 28, 2020.
F-1 student visas are not available to study in this program.
Important Note: Students pursuing their degree on Cal State LA’s Main Campus may not take courses at Cal State LA Downtown as part of their degree program. Only students admitted to programs offered in Downtown may attend courses at Cal State LA Downtown after paying all required fees. Current Cal State LA students are welcome to pursue a program at Cal State LA Downtown in addition to their degree, but additional fees will apply. Programs offered at Cal State LA Downtown are not transferable to Cal State LA's Main Campus. Students admitted to a program at Cal State LA Downtown are welcome to pursue a program at Cal State LA's Main Campus, but an additional application is required.
View the MSW-ASP curriculum here.*
*Program curriculum is subject to change and University approval.
To Apply/Application Deadline
Summer 2020 Start:
To apply to graduate programs at Cal State LA Downtown, applicants must complete the following steps.
- Complete the supplemental program application linked below.
- If you are a first-time applicant, create a profile and account for the PaGE Online Portal. Returning users may log into their existing account.
- Upload your completed supplemental program application and all required documents to the Master of Social Work - ASP Page.
- Complete and submit a university application through Cal State Apply and submit official transcripts to Cal State LA's Office of Admissions.
Supplemental Program Application
Application Open: October 15, 2019
Application Close: February 15, 2020
Cal State LA University Application
Application Open: February 1, 2020
Application Close: February 28, 2020
Submit by: March 16, 2020
Please submit all Official Transcripts to: