Offered at Cal State LA Downtown, the Master of Social Work, Advanced Standing, program begins Summer 2017 and is designed to prepare graduate students for entry into advanced and specialized social work practice where they will be able to provide effective service to individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities. Students will emerge prepared to engage, assess, intervene and evaluate individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
The Advanced Standing Program facilitates completion of the MSW degree requirements for students with a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work from an accredited school of social work, allowing them to complete their degree in one year. Cal State LA’s program includes a Summer 2017 Bridge Program that reviews foundation topics such as values, ethics and methods of practice. Once successfully completed, core content from the first year of the traditional MSW program will be waived and students will be Advanced to Candidacy to begin upper division graduate level coursework aligned with the traditional program curriculum.
Participate in one of our upcoming Open House information sessions.
Who Should Enroll?
This program is ideal for:
- Students who have earned their undergraduate degree in the field of Social Work
- Individuals interested in advanced and specialized social work practice
Tuition & Fees
|Cost Per Unit||$525|
|Total Program Cost||$18,900|
Learn more about Financial Assistance opportunities for this program.
Applicants to the Master of Social Work Advanced Standing program beginning Summer 2017 must complete the following steps in order to be considered for admission:
1) Complete and submit the following materials directly to Cal State LA's School of Social Work:
- A School of Social Work Supplemental Program Application
- A personal statement
- 3- Letters of Recommendation on the Cal State LA Master of Social Work Reference Form (included within the supplemental program application). The reference must include recommendations from one each of the following: A field instructor or field supervisor from BASW internship, an Academic BASW professor, a supervisor
- A current resume
- An Unofficial copy of transcripts from all schools attended
- Official transcript(s) from all colleges and universities attended
2) Submit a graduate program application through CSU Mentor when instructed to do so (This will happen after 2/1/2017).
F-1 student visas are not available to study in this program.
Only those who have received a BASW degree within the last five years from a CSWE accredited social work program are qualified.
Important Note: Students pursuing their degree on Cal State LA’s Main Campus may not take courses at Cal State LA Downtown as part of their degree program. Only students admitted to programs offered in Downtown may attend courses at Cal State LA Downtown after paying all required fees. Current Cal State LA students are welcome to pursue a program at Cal State LA Downtown in addition to their degree, but additional fees will apply. Programs offered at Cal State LA Downtown are not transferable to Cal State LA's Main Campus. Students admitted to a program at Cal State LA Downtown are welcome to pursue a program at Cal State LA's Main Campus, but an additional application is required.
To Apply/Application Deadline
2017 Supplemental Program Application Deadline: February 1, 2017
2017 CSU Mentor Application Window: February 1, 2017 - February 28, 2017
Please submit all Official Transcripts to: