Admission to the MA program involves TWO (2) applications: 1) Application to CSULA via the Cal State Apply website, and 2) Application specifically to the Political Science Department. BOTH APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ADMISSION.
Admission into the university does not guarantee or imply admission into the department. The department and the university have different criteria and separate processes for admissions. Pay particular attention to the filing periods and application deadlines for both Cal State Apply and the department.
The APPLICATION DEADLINE for admission in Spring 2020 is October 15, 2019.
The APPLICATION DEADLINE for admission in Fall 2020 will be in April 2020 (exact date to be determined).
How to Apply -- Complete Steps 1 and 2
1) STEP ONE -- Apply to CSULA using Cal State Apply. Applicants should complete the online application for graduate students available at the Cal State Apply website. All applicants must submit the required transcripts and other documents as specified by Cal State Apply. International student applicants should use the International Admission link on the site.
California State University, Los Angeles
Department of Political Science, E&T Bldg. A524
Master of Arts Program in Political Science
5151 State University Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90032-8226
Attention: Graduate Coordinator
Note that the Department Application requires the following:
- Completion of all sections of the written form
- Mailing of undergraduate transcripts (unofficial copies are acceptable) to the department
- Two letters of recommendation
- A statement of purpose
- Inclusion of a writing sample is highly recommended, but not required.
Admission requirements include a grade point average in the last 60 semester (or 90 quarter) units of 3.00 or better, and a major in political science.
Conditional Admission: Applicants who have not completed an undergraduate major in political science and/or whose GPA is below 3.0 may be admitted at the discretion of the department, but may be required to complete specified prerequisite courses at CSULA in their first semester. Prerequisite courses, as needed, will be selected in consultation with the MA advisor.
Cost of Attendance
For the 2019-2020 academic year, the tuition and fees for full-time, in-state graduate students is $8,194.00. Out-of-state graduate students are assessed an additional $396.00 per course unit (approximately an additional $1,188 per 3-unit course). More detailed information about the cost of attendance can be found at: http://www.calstatela.edu/financialaid/cost-attendance. Information on financial aid is available at: www.calstatela.edu/financialaid.
Note that CSU tuition and fees may change on an annual basis.
The department welcomes applications from students with degrees from outside of the United States. The following information may be of assistance:
- English Language Proficiency Requirement
- Admission Requirements for International Students
- CSULA International Program Office
- Current University and Department Deadlines
- General Information on Applying
- International Students
- Costs of Attendance
- Financial Aid
- What to do after being Admitted
- Frequently Asked Questions about Admission
Questions about the admissions process can be directed to the Graduate Advisor, Prof. Taylor Dark, who can be reached at: email@example.com.