Now that you are enrolled in a CSU Fully Online Course – Cross-Campus Enrollment – at Cal State LA we'd like to give you some guidance, advice, and resources to help you successfully complete your online course.
You are now a student at Cal State LA! With your Campus Identification Number (CIN), username, and password, you have access to a wealth of online resources. Access these resources through your online Student Portal at Cal State LA: http://my.calstatela.edu/. From the portal, you can access your webmail, Moodle, Lynda.com and much more.
Our Campus Directory for students, faculty, and staff can be found at https://directory.calstatela.edu.
The following resources may also be helpful:
- Technical Support: http://www.calstatela.edu/moodlementor/technical-support-resources
- Academic Support: http://www.calstatela.edu/moodlementor/academic-support-resources
- Student Support: http://www.calstatela.edu/moodlementor/student-support-resources
- Moodle Mentor: http://www.calstatela.edu/moodlementor
The academic calendar at Cal State LA may be different than your home campus.
Here are some key dates to remember:
Dates and Deadlines
|Jan 22 (Tu)||Spring 2019 semester begins; first day of instruction|
|Feb 5 (Tu)||Spring 2019 No Record drop deadline (use GET to drop)|
|Apr 1 (M) – Apr 7 (Su)||Spring Break|
|Apr 1 (M)||César Chávez Day (observed); University closed|
|May 11 (Sa)||Spring 2019 last day of instruction|
|May 13 (M) - May 18 (Sa)||Spring 2019 final exams|
|May 18 (Sa)||Spring 2019 semester ends|
|May 24 (F)||Spring 2019 grades available on GET|
|May 27 (M)||Memorial Day; University closed|
- Our courses use the learning management system (LMS) called Moodle. You can become familiar with the LMS by completing the Moodle Essential Training at Lynda.com. You can access this training from the MyCalStateLA portal at http://my.calstatela.edu/. Click on the Lynda.com QuickLaunch button, and search "Moodle" for the tutorial.
- You will get access to Moodle through the student portal http://my.calstatela.edu/ by clicking on the purple Moodle 2015-2016 QuickLaunch icon. You can also access Moodle at http://moodle.calstatela.edu. If you should experience problems with accessing the portal, contact ITS Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (323) 343- 6170.
- The syllabus for your CSU Fully Online Course will have the information you need to successfully complete the course requirements. The syllabus is posted in Moodle.
- You have access to all our library resources and you can explore our online library services at http://www.calstatela.edu/library.
- Our Bookstore can provide you the course materials you need for your CSU Fully Online Course. Go to http://calstate-la.bncollege.com for more information.
- The CSU also provides you a free online library on supplemental learning resources at http://www.merlotx.org. You are welcome to explore and use these free resources to help you learn.
- If you need to ask questions about using our technologies, you can contact the ITS Helpdesk at email@example.com, or (323) 343-6170. Phone support is available 24x7 except during quarter breaks and University holidays. Additional ITS Help Desk information can be found at http://www.calstatela.edu/its/helpdesk/studentresources
- The CSU is committed to providing an electronic environment that is accessible to everyone, including individuals with disabilities. If you encounter any accessibility problems and need assistance, please contact the Office of Students with Disabilities (OSD) at (323) 343-3140 or at OSD@calstatela.edu. Or visit their website at http://www.calstatela.edu/univ/osd/.
Online learning is different than learning in the classroom. You want to make sure you're ready to succeed in your online class and there are a few steps you can take to help you complete the CSU Fully Online Course successfully. If this is your first time taking a fully online course, we recommend you:
- Complete one or two "Are you ready for online learning" checklists. Here are two self-assessments that are free and easy to complete. You should feel confident that you have the skills, learning styles, technologies, and time to be successful in an online course. These checklists can help you make sure you're prepared to succeed.
- Spend time (hours vs. minutes) exploring the student portal, the campus' technology platform for your CSU Fully Online Course, reviewing the syllabus, and making sure you are familiar and comfortable with the online services at Cal State LA. You want to be prepared before the course work starts to pile up.
- Online courses frequently require additional time for preparation and participation, make sure to schedule an appropriate amount of time to do the work for your CSU Fully Online Course. Don't let "I'll do it later" lead to poor grades which ultimately wastes your time and money in school.