Welcome to Cal State LA
Now that you are enrolled in a CSU Fully Online Course – Cross-Campus Enrollment – at Cal State LA we'd like to give you some guidance, advice, and resources to help you successfully complete your online course.
You are now a student at Cal State LA! With your Campus Identification Number (CIN), username, and password, you have access to a wealth of online resources. Access these resources through your online Student Portal at Cal State LA: http://my.calstatela.edu/. From the portal, you can access your webmail, Lynda.com and much more.
The following resources may also be helpful:
- Course Catalog (reference many Student and Academic Policies): http://ecatalog.calstatela.edu
- Campus Directory of Faculty and Staff: http://directory.calstatela.edu
- Student Resources: http://www.calstatela.edu/student
The academic calendar at Cal State LA may be different than your home campus.
Here are some key dates to remember:
Dates and Deadlines
|Jan 20 (Mo)||Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday; University Closed|
|Jan 21 (Tu)||Spring 2020 semester begins; first day of instruction|
|Feb 4 (Tu)||Spring 2020 No Record drop deadline (last day to drop and not receive a grade)|
|Mar 30 (M) – Apr 5 (Su)||Spring Break|
|Mar 31 (Tu)||César Chávez Day; University closed|
|May 9 (Sa)||Spring 2020 last day of instruction|
|May 11 (M) - May 16 (Sa)||Spring 2020 final exams|
|May 16 (Sa)||Spring 2020 semester ends|
|May 22 (F)||Spring 2020 grades available on GET|
|May 25 (M)||Memorial Day; University closed|
You are taking an online class at Cal State LA and there may be a number of differences in how our online course is delivered as compared to your campus.
- Our courses use a learning management systems (LMS) called Canvas, which you can see in the MyCalStateLA portal. For more information:
- You can access Canvas through the student portal http://my.calstatela.edu/. You can find a link to your course materials in Canvas through the QuickLaunch icon. If you should experience problems with accessing the portal, contact ITS Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (323) 343- 6170.
- The syllabus for your CSU Fully Online Course, available in Canvas, will have the information you need to successfully complete the course requirements.
- You have access to all our library resources and you can explore our online library services at http://www.calstatela.edu/library.
- Our Bookstore can provide you the course materials you need for your CSU Fully Online Course. Go to http://calstate-la.bncollege.com for more information.
- The CSU also provides you a free online library on supplemental learning resources at http://www.merlotx.org. You are welcome to explore and use these free resources to help you learn.
- If you need to ask questions about using our technologies, you can contact the ITS Helpdesk at email@example.com, or (323) 343-6170. Phone support is available 24x7 except during quarter breaks and University holidays. Additional ITS Help Desk information can be found at http://www.calstatela.edu/its/helpdesk/studentresources
- The CSU is committed to providing an electronic environment that is accessible to everyone, including individuals with disabilities. If you encounter any accessibility problems and need assistance, please contact the Office of Students with Disabilities (OSD) at (323) 343-3140 or at OSD@calstatela.edu. Or visit their website at http://www.calstatela.edu/univ/osd/.
- If you need a tutor or information to help improve your study skills for your Fully Online course, Cal State LA offers the University Tutorial Center. To learn more go to the Tutorial Wing of the Center for Academic Success.
Online learning is different than learning in the classroom. You want to make sure you're ready to succeed in your online class and there are a few steps you can take to help you complete the CSU Fully Online Course successfully. If this is your first time taking a fully online course, we recommend you:
- Complete an "Are you ready for online learning" checklist. One of our sister CSU campuses offers a checklist that is free and easy to complete. You should feel confident that you have the skills, learning styles, technologies, and time to be successful in an online course. Theis checklist can help you make sure you're prepared to succeed.
- Spend time (hours vs. minutes) exploring the student portal, the campus' technology platform for your CSU Fully Online Course, reviewing the syllabus, and making sure you are familiar and comfortable with the online services at Cal State LA. You want to be prepared before the course work starts to pile up.
- Online courses frequently require additional time for preparation and participation, make sure to schedule an appropriate amount of time to do the work for your CSU Fully Online Course. Don't let "I'll do it later" lead to poor grades which ultimately wastes your time and money in school.