News

In The News

The Washington Post’s David Nakamura explains why the debate on DACA, an Obama-era program shielding young undocumented immigrants from deportation, isn’t over. Bastien Inzaurralde/The Washington Post

Federal judge: Trump administration must accept new DACA applications

A D.C. federal judge has delivered the toughest blow yet to Trump administration efforts to end deportation protections for young undocumented immigrants, ordering the government to continue the Obama-era program and — for the first time since announcing it would end — reopen it to new applicants.

U.S. District Judge John D. Bates on Tuesday called the government’s decision to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program “virtually unexplained” and therefore “unlawful.” However, he stayed his ruling for 90 days to give the Department of Homeland Security a chance to provide more solid reasoning for ending the program.

READ MORE►


 

Supreme Court declines to enter controversy over ‘dreamers,’ rejects Trump administration’s request to review lower court rulings Photo Credit: Leslie Berestein/KPCC

Here's What You Need to Know About Where DACA Stands

It’s been a time of uncertainty for the roughly 700,000 young unauthorized immigrants enrolled in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. The Obama-era program, known as DACA, granted temporary work permits and protection from deportation for young adults who arrived in the U.S. as children.

Once someone qualified, that status had to be renewed every two years.

President Trump ended the program in September but called on Congress to find a better solution ahead of March 5. That was supposed to the date beyond which no more renewals could take place.

READ MORE►


 

Supreme Court declines to enter controversy over ‘dreamers,’ rejects Trump administration’s request to review lower court rulings Photo Credit: Molly Adams

Supreme Court declines to enter controversy over ‘dreamers,’ rejects Trump administration’s request to review lower court rulings

The Supreme Court on Monday declined to enter the national controversy over “dreamers,” turning down the Trump administration’s request to immediately review lower court decisions that keep in place the program that protects undocumented immigrants brought here as children from deportation.

President Trump announced in September that he would let the program expire in March, unless Congress acted. Efforts on Capitol Hill to revive the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program (DACA) as part of a broader deal on immigration policy have failed.

READ MORE►


 

Second federal judge blocks move to end DACA Photo Credit: Molly Adams

Second federal judge blocks move to end DACA

A second federal judge Tuesday has temporarily blocked the Trump administration from ending the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

Judge Nicholas G. Garaufis of the US District Court for the Eastern District of New York ruled that DACA participants and states are likely to succeed in their challenge that the way President Donald Trump terminated the Obama-era program was arbitrary and capricious.

Trump last year announced his plan to end DACA, the policy that allowed undocumented immigrants brought to the US as children to stay in the country, effective March 5. That deadline has become central in the congressional debate over immigration, but Democrats and Republicans are nowhere near a breakthrough.

READ MORE►


 

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, who filed one of the federal lawsuits that led to the temporary injunction, said he was confident the courts will uphold the order. Photo Credit: Rich Pedroncelli/Associated Press

Trump administration will ask Supreme Court to allow it to end DACA

The Justice Department on Tuesday said it would take the “rare step” of asking the Supreme Court to overturn a judge’s ruling and clear the way for the Trump administration to dismantle a program that provides work permits to undocumented immigrants who have lived in the United States since childhood.

The Trump administration said it has appealed the judge’s injunction — which said the Obama-era program must continue while a legal challenge to ending it is pending — to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, who filed one of the federal lawsuits that led to the temporary injunction, said he was confident the courts will uphold the order.

READ MORE►


 

Activists rally on behalf of Dreamers Photo Credit: Drew Angerer/Getty Images

Government resumes accepting applications to renew DACA

Federal immigration authorities, in a victory for so-called Dreamers, quietly announced they have resumed accepting requests for renewals in DACA, the Obama-era program that shielded hundreds of thousands of young immigrants from deportation.

“Until further notice, if you already applied for #DACA and it was expiring, this is your chance to reapply,” California Atty. Gen. Xavier Becerra tweeted Saturday night.

The government’s announcement, made without fanfare on a website Saturday, came four days after a federal judge in San Francisco issued an order temporarily blocking the Trump administration’s decision to phase out the program.

READ MORE►


 

A federal judge blocked the Trump administration's phaseout of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals on Jan. 9. The White House called it Photo Credit: Jenny Starrs/The Washington Post

Federal judge gives respite to ‘dreamers’, says DACA can’t end while lawsuit is pending

A federal judge’s decision to block Trump administration plans to phase out protections for so-called undocumented “dreamers” brought sharp backlash Wednesday from the White House, calling the injunction “outrageous.”

The order by U.S. District Judge William Alsup issued Tuesday says safeguards against deportation must remain in place for the nearly 690,000 immigrants in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program while a legal challenge to ending the Obama-era program proceeds.

It remained unclear Wednesday when the DACA recipients, also known as “Dreamers” could resume applying for renewals of their work permits as a result of the California ruling, which Alsup said should apply nationwide. Advocates said it would depend on the Department of Homeland Security, which runs the program.

READ MORE►


 

Trump says he's open to a sweeping immigration deal Photo Credit: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Trump says he's open to a sweeping immigration deal and is willing to 'take the heat' with his supporters

President Trump told lawmakers Tuesday he’d “take the heat” for a comprehensive immigration bill to address the roughly 11 million people in the country illegally — a measure that would test the support of his anti-immigration loyalists.

First, he said, Congress would have to come to a narrower agreement with the administration on border security and on the so-called Dreamers, an estimated 700,000 young people who were brought to the country illegally as children. Then, he said, they could push to deal with the status of the 11 million, he said.

“If you want to take it that further step, I’ll take the heat. I don’t care,” Trump said, quipping, “My whole life has been heat.”

READ MORE►


 

Protestors in support of TPS Photo Credit: Pablo Martinez Monsivais/Associated Press

200,000 Salvadorans may be forced to leave the U.S. as Trump ends immigration protection

The Trump administration announced Monday that it will terminate the provisional residency permits of about 200,000 Salvadorans who have lived in the country since at least 2001, leaving them to face deportation.

The administration said it will give the Salvadorans until Sept. 9, 2019, to leave the United States or find a way to obtain a green card, according to a statement from the Department of Homeland Security. After earthquakes hit the country in 2001, Salvadorans were granted what is known as Temporary Protected Status, or TPS, and their permits have been renewed on an 18-month basis since then.

Monday’s announcement is the latest step by the administration to cut the number of foreigners living in the United States — by squeezing the flow of legal immigration and intensifying efforts to expel those who arrived illegally.

READ MORE►


 

Demonstrators voice support for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program Photo Credit: Al Drago/The New York Times

Why would we want to exclude Dreamers from America? By CSU Chancellor Timothy P. White

When I consider the investment California made in my education — a number that undoubtedly reaches into the hundreds of thousands of dollars — I am always humbled and grateful. This willingness by my fellow Californians to believe in the profound possibility of potential continues to inspire and motivate me today. As chancellor of the California State University, I am often reminded of the power of that potential when I hear about the remarkable contributions CSU students and alumni are making in the world.

How shortsighted it would be to deprive our nation of the extraordinary possibilities inherent in these dedicated women and men! Yet that is exactly what will happen if Congress neglects to address the misguided decision to rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. More than 8,000 members of the CSU family — along with some 800,000 men and women around the United States — will be prevented from giving back to the nation they consider home.

READ MORE►


 

Legal status for Dreamers gets support of nearly 3 dozen House Republicans Photo Credit: Jacquelyn Martin/Associated Press

Legal status for Dreamers gets support of nearly 3 dozen House Republicans

Nearly three dozen House Republicans, including three from California, fired off a warning shot to Speaker Paul Ryan on Tuesday, saying they have enough votes to join with Democrats to pass legislation to protect young immigrants before Congress adjourns this year.
Most Popular

The 34 Republicans demanded that Ryan put legislation on the House floor that would legalize roughly 800,000 “Dreamers,” young immigrants who arrived illegally in the United States as children, who face deportation starting March 5 unless Congress acts.

Ryan, a Republican from Wisconsin, has at times seemed to support providing legal status for Dreamers but has not moved to advance current bills that address the issue.

READ MORE►


 

Cal State Chancellor Timothy P. White Photo Credit: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

Cal State trustees call for preserving legal protections for 'Dreamers'

California State University’s board of trustees unanimously passed a resolution Wednesday encouraging leaders of the nation’s largest public university system and each of its 23 campuses to support and advocate for the continued protection of their 8,300 “Dreamer” students and hundreds more faculty and staff members.

Chancellor Timothy P. White urged the trustees to take a public stand at their meeting in Long Beach. “This resolution … is a rare occurrence, but these are rare and unique circumstances,” he told them. “It’s something that we don’t normally do. But because of its importance, we decided to stand up.”

READ MORE►


 

Trump administration ending protections for thousands of Nicaraguan migrants, and defers decision on Hondurans
Photo Credit: Carolyn Cole / Los Angeles Times

Trump administration ending protections for thousands of Nicaraguan migrants, defers decision on Hondurans

The Trump administration said Monday it would end a special reprieve from deportation for thousands of Nicaraguans who have been allowed to stay in the U.S. for years, but delayed a decision on similar protections for tens of thousands of Hondurans.

The Department of Homeland Security announced that it would not renew temporary protected status for about 5,300 Nicaraguans whose protections under the program expire on Jan. 5. They will be allowed to stay in the U.S. only until Jan. 5, 2019, unless they qualify to stay under other provisions of immigration law, senior administration officials told reporters.

READ MORE►


 

CA Attorney General asks judge to reinstate DACA program until final court ruling
Photo Credit: Don Thompson/Associated Press

Attorney General Xavier Becerra asks judge to reinstate DACA program until final court ruling

Local and state officials who filed a lawsuit against the Trump Administration for ending the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program asked a federal judge on Wednesday to reinstate the program until there’s a final court ruling on the lawsuit.

The motion — filed by Attorney General Xavier Becerra, the University of California, Santa Clara County and the city of San Jose, among others — asks the Northern District of California to issue a preliminary injunction blocking the Trump Administration’s rescission of DACA while the trial is pending. It’s the latest in a months-long battle between the Trump Administration and DACA supporters to determine the future of the controversial program.

READ MORE►


 

Governor Brown signs “sanctuary state” legislation
Photo Credit: Rich Pedroncelli/Associated Press

Governor Brown signs 'Sanctuary State' legislation

Under threat of possible retaliation by the Trump administration, Gov. Jerry Brown signed landmark “sanctuary state” legislation Thursday, vastly limiting who state and local law enforcement agencies can hold, question and transfer at the request of federal immigration authorities.

Senate Bill 54, which takes effect in January, has been blasted as “unconscionable” by U.S. Atty. Gen. Jeff Sessions, becoming the focus of a national debate over how far states and cities can go to prevent their officers from enforcing federal immigration laws. Supporters have hailed it as part of a broader effort by majority Democrats in the California Legislature to shield more than 2.3 million immigrants living illegally in the state.

READ MORE►


 

AG Xavier Becerra
Photo Credit: Rich Pedroncelli/Associated Press

California governor, legislative leaders allocate $30 million for 'Dreamers' in wake of DACA decision

Gov. Jerry Brown and California legislative leaders have agreed to earmark $30 million for financial aid and legal services to help young people brought into the country illegally as children, a response to President Trump’s recent decision to cancel the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

The funding proposal, expected to be taken up Tuesday in a Senate budget and fiscal committee, comes a day after state Atty. Gen. Xavier Becerra filed a lawsuit challenging Trump's decision to rescind DACA, which grants temporary deportation protection and work permits for about 800,000 people across the country.

READ MORE►


 

California sues Trump administration over plan to end DACA

California on Monday sued the Trump administration, challenging as unconstitutional the president’s plan to rescind a program to protect young immigrants brought to the country illegally from deportation.

The lawsuit comes a week after 15 other states, led by New York and Washington, filed a similar legal challenge.

California Atty. Gen. Xavier Becerra said Monday he decided to file a separate suit because the state and its economy will be especially harmed by the president's action because it is home to a quarter of the 800,000 people in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, program.

READ MORE►


 

AG Xavier Becerra
Photo Credit: Rich Pedroncelli/Associated Press

California Atty. Gen. Xavier Becerra to announce a lawsuit challenging Trump's DACA decision

California on Monday will wade into the legal battle over President Trump's decision to scrap the nation's 5-year-old program protecting young immigrants without legal residency.

Atty. Gen. Xavier Becerra plans to announce a lawsuit against the Trump administration over last week's rescinding of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, known as DACA. The action is scheduled to be announced at a late morning event in Sacramento, and a news release from the attorney general's office said he will appear at the event with several DACA recipients from California.

READ MORE►


 

Attorney General Sessions Delivers Remarks on DACA

Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced today, Sept. 5, 2017, that the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program is being rescinded.

READ MORE►


California Attorney General Xavier Becerra holds a news conference at Cal State LA

Cal State LA's Executive Vice President Jose Gomez and students join Attorney General Xavier Becerra in urging Trump to defend DACA

At a news conference held on the campus of Cal State LA, Attorney General Xavier Becerra announced that attorneys general from 20 states signed a letter appealing to Trump. Congressman Jimmy Gomez also called on Trump to maintain the DACA program.

READ MORE►     WATCH THE VIDEO►


 

Supreme court

Supreme Court finds a compromise in reviving Trump's travel ban

The Supreme Court on Monday took a pragmatic approach to resolving the dispute over President Trump's foreign travel ban with a middle-ground ruling that may defuse the controversy -- for now.

READ MORE►


 

Expanded legal services for immigrants

Nearly $50 million in the California state budget will go to expanded legal services for immigrants

California state lawmakers approved $45 million in a state budget plan to expand legal services for immigrants, a response to the Trump administration's call to increase deportations.

READ MORE►


 

Federal appeals court rules against Trump's Immigration ban

U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals refuses to reinstate Trump's travel ban

Another federal appeals court refused on Monday to lift a hold on President Trump's travel ban, ruling that it lacked justification and violated a federal immigration law that prohibits discrimination based on nationality.

READ MORE►


 

Revised executive order bans travelers from six Muslim-majority countries from getting new visas

President Trump signed a new travel ban Monday that administration officials said they hope will end legal challenges over the matter by imposing a 90-day ban on the issuance of new visas for citizens of six majority-Muslim nations.

READ MORE►


 

Federal appeals court rules 3 to 0 against Trump on travel ban

A federal appeals panel has maintained the freeze on President Trump's controversial immigration order, meaning previously barred refugees and citizens from seven majority-Muslim countries can continue entering the United States.

READ MORE►


 

City of Los Angeles Hilda Solis
Photo Credit: Joseph Sohm

Supervisors Solis & Kuehl call for continued protection of immigrant communities & establishment of Immigration Affairs Office

The County of Los Angeles is home to nearly 3.5 million immigrants. With such a large number of immigrants in the County, the Board of Supervisors passed a motion, introduced by Supervisors Hilda L. Solis and Sheila Kuehl, to officially establish an Office of Immigrant Affairs (OIA) and request the Civilian Oversight Commission oversee the Sheriff’s Department’s adherence to their policies as described in his January 10, 2017 report.

READ MORE►


 

City of Los Angeles creates fund for legal aid

L.A. proposes $10-million legal defense fund for immigrants facing deportation

Los Angeles city and county leaders on Monday unveiled a $10-million fund to provide legal assistance for residents facing deportation, the region's boldest move yet as it prepares for an expected crackdown on illegal immigration by Donald Trump.

READ MORE►