Cal State LA Scholarships
Cal State LA has over 400 scholarship opportunities to support your educational goals. You can browse the various scholarships available on our Cal State LA Scholarships Application site during the scholarship application season (traditionally between March-April). The scholarships are made available through the generosity of our University donors, alumni, and friends. Please keep in mind that these scholarship opportunities are in addition to the various federal, state, and outside agency financial aid programs!
We have simplified the process for you to be considered for these various Cal State LA scholarship opportunities. Simply follow the steps on the general application and you will be automatically matched to the scholarships for which you meet the minimum qualifications. Final selection will then be made based on a ranking of the applicants based by the appropriate scholarship committee.
Am I eligible to apply?
You are eligible to apply if you are a current Cal State LA student and will continued to be enrolled in the upcoming academic year, in a degree, credential, or certificate program.
How do I apply?
- Click the “Sign In” button at the top of the Cal State LA Scholarships Application site and provide your MyCSULA credentials (Campus Identification Number (CIN) and campus password). Please note, this site is only available during the scholarship application season.
- Complete the general questions provided. Be aware that information from your academic record has already been made available to the application so you don’t have to self-report information we already have on record, such as your contact information, academic information, and financial need.
- Prepare and upload a personal statement to support your application.
- Contact a faculty member, advisor or other academic reference who will be willing to provide a letter of reference for you. You will need to include their name and email address in the application so they can provide their letter of support online.
When do I apply and what is the deadline?
- The next scholarship application period will run in Spring 2018 for the Fall 2018-Spring 2019 academic year.
What happens after I apply?
If you provide a complete application and reference by the deadline, you will automatically be considered for all scholarship opportunities for which you meet the minimum criteria. Your application will then be made available to various departments and committees for further consideration. If you are awarded a scholarship, you will receive a notification from the Office of Student Financial Aid and you will be able to view the award at that time on the financial aid summary screen in GET. If you have the honor of being a recipient, we will request that you write a note of appreciation to the donors or University friends that made it possible! Our goal is to award as many scholarships as possible over the summer so that funds can be available prior to the beginning of the Fall semester. If funds remain after that point, additional awards will be made. Be aware that if you receive a Cal State LA Scholarship and are also receiving other financial aid, awards may have to be adjusted in accordance with federal, state, and institutional awarding policies.
2017-18 Cal State L.A. Scholarship Application Helpful Hints and FAQs
What are the advantages of the online scholarship system?
- Only one application is needed for multiple opportunities
- It is available to current Cal State L.A. students 24/7 during the application period: March 6 – March 28, 2017
- It performs an auto-match process, which matches students with available Cal State LA "On-Campus" scholarship opportunities
- It enables students to upload their Personal Statement electronically
- It allows students to request a Letter of Recommendation electronically
- It allows students to save the information and complete the application as time permits
Helpful tips and what you will need to apply for Cal State LA General Scholarships:
- Submit your application as early as possible
- Keep in mind that some scholarships may require additional information besides the general application such as, an art project, an audition or performance
- Avoid submitting an incomplete application as only complete applications will be considered
What to include on your personal statement?
- Tell your story in as concise and compelling manner as possible limiting it to two pages or less
- Focus primarily on your academic/career/life goals, indicating how past achievements, hardships you have overcome, or family influences are related to these goals.
- Remember you must submit an electronic copy of your statement in the application!
What to keep in mind with your reference letter(s)
When you complete the general scholarship application, you will be prompted to add the name(s) of your reference provider(s) and email address. Your reference provider will be notified via email. You may log in at any time to see if your reference provider has replied.
- Do not skip this step. Most scholarships require at least one (1) letter of recommendation. If you do not submit a letter of recommendation you may still be considered for some scholarship opportunities but your chances of winning a scholarship are greater if your recommender submits a well-written, thoughtful letter on your behalf.
- Letters of recommendation(s) may come from a current or former professor, instructor, academic advisor, counselor - Someone who is able to evaluate your academic performance, motivation, personal strengths, and goals.
- Identify the person who will be writing the letter of recommendation. Get their agreement that they will be able to submit the reference by the deadline and have their email address and name handy to submit in the application. Let them know they will receive an email with instructions on how to submit the reference. You might consider giving them some information about your accomplishments to assist them in the preparation.
- Be sure your reference provider knows they must submit the reference electronically no later than April 6, 2017. Please check back for the next deadline, for the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Be sure to thank the person for agreeing to write and submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf!
What do I do if notice my major or GPA do not seem accurate in the Scholarship application system?
The Scholarship Application is updated nightly based on your official University record which you can also view in GET. Once major or grade changes are processed by the Registrar’s Office, the information will automatically be updated. For best consideration, any changes should be completed by March 28, 2017.
What to expect after submitting the General Scholarship Application?
- An email confirming receipt of the application
- An award notification email will be communicated if you are selected for an award in June 2017.
- Receipt of any award must be coordinated in accordance to federal, state and institutional awarding policies
For additional assistance or any other question
You may contact the Center for Student Financial Aid & Scholarships at 323-343-6260