Apply for Financial Aid

Students who are U.S. Citizen or have eligible permanent resident status should file the Free Application for Student Financial Aid (FAFSA).  This financial aid application is used to determine financial aid eligibility for all federal, state, and institutional aid and must be submitted/renewed for each academic year. In addition to the FAFSA, separate applications are required for Cal Grants, Scholarships and the Federal Direct Student Loan.

Students who are AB540 students should file the Dream Act Application.

In addition to the FAFSA, California residents and AB540 students may file the GPA Verification form for Cal Grant consideration.  There are two different GPA Verification Forms.  The forms can be found at:

The priority deadline is March 2, 2016 for all awards.  Financial aid funds are limited in many programs, with funding going to the earliest eligible applicants. Therefore, deadlines should be observed. Students pursuing their bachelor's and master's degree or their teaching credential can receive financial aid as long as they continue to be eligible and do not exceed the allowable maximum units earned or attempted.

There are two ways to file the FAFSA Application

Other helpful FAFSA and Tax Resources

FAFSA Tips and Common Mistakes to Avoid When Applying for Student Aid.

Cal State LA FAFSA On Campus Workshops.

Federal Tax Credits

For questions and assistance related to completing your federal tax return, visit the IRS website at