Check our Upcoming Events calendar to register for a Medical Programs Overview webinar.
Offered at Cal State LA Downtown, the Pharmacy Technician Program is a comprehensive 10-week course that will prepare students to work as a pharmacy technician in retail or other pharmacy settings. This course will examine the knowledge areas critical to the pharmacy technician practice. Pharmacology for technicians, laws and regulations, compounding, medication safety, quality assurance, order entry and fill process, inventory management, billing and reimbursement, information systems usage, and the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) will be explored.
Taught by experts in the pharmaceutical field, the course curriculum focuses on three core area including: pharmacology, law, and practical wisdom. Students will benefit from engaging lectures and discussions paired with interactive learning activities.
Illustrate the scope of practice for pharmacy technicians.
- Identify the most commonly prescribed drugs in the United States, including pharmacology and therapeutics relating to body systems.
- Apply pharmacy laws and regulations to given fact patterns.
- Execute appropriate safety protocols.
- Calculate and convert quantities and dosages as required for prescription order entry and filling.
- Use pharmacy information systems for inventory, billing, and reimbursement.
Participate in one of our upcoming Open House information sessions.
Who Should Enroll?
- Individuals interested in working in retail pharmacies, mail order pharmacies, home infusion pharmacies, long term care facilities, hospitals, clinics, pharmacy benefit managers and large industrial complexes
- Students with a high school diploma or GED equivalent who have taken math and science in high school
Registration and Fees
Program Cost: $1,299 (not including textbooks)
The Pharmacy Technician, Sixth Edition (ISBN: 1617314870)
Note: If you are currently unemployed, you may be able to enroll in this program for free. Please click here for details.
Download the Spring 2019 Program Schedule.
About the Instructor
Dr. Elham Lavy received her B.S. in Psychobiology and minor in Near Eastern Languages and Cultures from UCLA. She received her Pharm.D. from Western University of Health Sciences also in southern California. Her thesis centered on clinical risk factors for post-transplant early and late anemia in kidney transplant patients, which was approved by the American College of Clinical Pharmacy. With over a decade of teaching experience, she currently teaches the Pharmacy Technician Program at Los Angeles Mission College and serves as a pharmacist at retail and mental health pharmacies.
How to Enroll/Register
This comprehensive 50-hour program teaches the fundamental practices of the pharmacy technician field. It explores the knowledge domains and areas listed in the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) Blueprint published by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
Since California law requires a pharmacy technician license to work in a pharmacy, students who complete this program should next take the PTCE to become certified by PTCB, and then apply for the pharmacy technician license from the California State Board of Pharmacy.