Offered at Cal State LA Downtown, the Pharmacy Technician Program is a comprehensive 10-week course that will prepare students to work as a pharmacy technician in retail or other pharmacy settings. This course will examine the knowledge areas critical to the pharmacy technician practice. Pharmacology for technicians, laws and regulations, compounding, medication safety, quality assurance, order entry and fill process, inventory management, billing and reimbursement, information systems usage, and the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) will be explored.
Taught by the pharmacy director at Cal State LA's Student Health Center, the course curriculum focuses on three core area including: pharmacology, law, and practical wisdom. Students will benefit from engaging lectures and discussions paired with interactive learning activities.
Illustrate the scope of practice for pharmacy technicians.
- Identify the most commonly prescribed drugs in the United States, including pharmacology and therapeutics relating to body systems.
- Apply pharmacy laws and regulations to given fact patterns.
- Execute appropriate safety protocols.
- Calculate and convert quantities and dosages as required for prescription order entry and filling.
- Use pharmacy information systems for inventory, billing, and reimbursement.
Participate in one of our upcoming Open House information sessions.
Who Should Enroll?
- Individuals interested in working in retail pharmacies, mail order pharmacies, home infusion pharmacies, long term care facilities, hospitals, clinics, pharmacy benefit managers and large industrial complexes
- Students with a high school diploma or GED equivalent who have taken math and science in high school
Gerald Ko, Pharm.D. is the pharmacy director at Cal State LA's Student Health Center. A graduate of the USC School of Pharmacy, he received his Pharm.D. in 2002 and served as a former preceptor and adjunct faculty at the USC School of Pharmacy. With over 14 years of experience in the profession, his background includes community, hospital, home infusion, mental health, pharmacy benefit management, consultant and investigative drug pharmacy.
Registration and Fees
Program Cost: $1,299 (not including textbooks)
The Pharmacy Technician, Sixth Edition (ISBN: 1617314870)
Note: If you are currently unemployed, you may be able to enroll in this program for free. Please click here for details.
Learn more about Financial Assistance opportunities for this program.
How to Enroll/Register
Click here to see more information and register